Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

South Africa itinerary for Aug 2012 for 10 nights. suggestions???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i am arriving in SA on 24th afternoon CT and departing 3Sept 2012
i,my wife and 3 and half yearold daughter.

we are planning 3 night CT,3Garden route
3 night kruger, 1Joberg and back home.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kwa Mbili game lodge and Gomo Gomois what i have shortlisted as it allows children on game drives.

Also would a self drive self guided holiday (except in Kruger) in SA be ok or would it be too tiring with my daughter and my wife
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks all for help

naman
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 03:24 AM

I would certainly not go to Kwa Mbili. It sits in Thornybush reserve, and about all the rest of the lodges are owned by ThornyBush Collection (http://www.thornybushcollection.co.za/). Read; Kwa Mbili has very little traverse and therefor does a lot of gamedrives in Kruger NP itself, and not in Thornybush. Also, a while back Kwa Mbili was for sale. Not a good sign.

I'm not sure the rest of Timbavati is that much better though. It's fenced. If I were to go to the Kruger area for such a short period, I'd make sure to choose a reserve that's open to Kruger.

Why don't you send a mail to a local tour operator like Sun Safaris. I'm sure they can provide a list of lodges that allow children.

Ciao,

J.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 12:08 PM

I would consider a non-malaria game park just beyond Garden Route due to the 3.5 year old child. Addo Elephant Park is 100% kiddie friendly so families with kids are more than welcome. The lodge to stay at is River Bend Lodge. It will be more expensive than Kwa Mbili but you will have a far better experience.

Hope this helps.

Greetings.
M.K.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Madikwe and Entabeni are two private reserves that are malaria free. August is a low risk season, but with a 3 year old I'd think about it. Addo and the nearby reserves are also an option, especially if you are flying out of CT. The other two are closer to JNB. Entabeni is only 3 hours north, on good roads until the last few km. Madikwe and Kruger are at least six hours, but both have flights to get you there.

Tiring? With a three year old? Yes. But no more tiring than anywhere else. Driving is on the left, FYI.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your suggestions. I am flying out of JB. i might consider Addo as an option. but who will want to miss Kruger for the first time????. I checkout out other lodges, reviews on tripadvisor and Kwa Mbili has been rated really good and great reviews too. Also moderately priced fits my budget.

I got a quote from Rhino Africa. they were really prompt in their replies. R20k PP, R8K child 2ngt CT,3ngt Garden route and PEliz. 2nghts KNP and 2Suncity.includes car hire for8days,Flights from PE to Kruger and back to Joberg.

still waiting for a quote from wild wings. lets see??
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 07:51 AM

If you are going to Kruger, why go to Sun City? I'd do 4nts Kruger. Sun City is more a resort than a wildlife destination, and the extra travel day is long. 2 nts in Kruger is not enough, like you said - it's spectacular.

In CT don't miss Boulders Beach or the aquarium. Table Mt and Robben Island are great, but not sure with a child. Not knowing what accommodations, it's hard to say if R20k/8k is good.

Have fun planning.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

the Rhino itinerary is like this
2 nights at Cape Royale occupying -CT
1 night at La Plume Guest -Oudtshoorn
1 night at The Lofts Boutique Hotel -Knysna
1 night at The Windermere Hotel-PE
2 night-Gomo Gomo (Kruger)includes flights from PE to Kruger.
2night-Suncity cascades.

i might skip suncity altogether you're right. I just asked them for a new quote. It will be Addo or Kruger and NOT suncity.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 03:30 AM

thats a lot of travelling in a few days between Knysna and PE - it doesnt make sense. you wont have much time to experience anything as you will be driving most of the time. agree Sun City is a waste of time. rather fly from George to Kruger and spend 2 nights in Knysna. Or do your safari in Eastern Cape. skip Sun City and add more time on safari and the garden Route or even Cape Town. 2 nights in cape town is also short.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 04:02 AM

also dont agree with the comments made by pixelpower about the Timbavati - I can tell you that the game viewing in the Timbavati at the moment is prolific and just as good as any of the other reserves
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 04:53 AM

Hey Travelpeach,

I made a typo in that post. I was typing about Thornybush, but instead typed "Timbavati" (blush).

I absolutely agree with you that the game viewing in Timbavati is as fantastic as in Sabi Sands. In fact, my experiences in Timbavati have been better that in SS.

B.regs,

J.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 04:27 PM

Hi Travelpeach - good to have you here.
Regarding the Timbavati, do you have any favorite camps there? (I have flight reservations on BA for May 2012 but thus far have decided nothing about safari camps).

regards - tom
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 03:23 AM

Hi there,

Kwa Mbili is actually quite good, more basic than other lodges, more a 3 star but game viewing is very good and when the animals the guests have not seen are in an area that they do not have traversing rights in they offer the guests to get special permission to traverse and charge a small fee. Good place for small kids. I think the prices you have are OK but you could do this much cheaper if you book it yourself. Flights you can book cheapest on http://www.africa.com/south-africa/travel, you can do comparisons. I will tell you from experience that you should not fly to Phalaborwa or Hoedspruit as too expensive so if you self drive through Kruger and book your camps yourself it would be better to start off on and finish off on Nelspruit side as flights are about 50% of Phalaborwa and Hoespruit prices. Camps can be booked direct online on http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/ then for Cape Town try http://www.capeletting.com I prefer Atlantic coast areas to drive from as so easy to drive on those roads and convenient for waterfront and cable car etc.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 03:37 AM

Hi Tom
Tanda Tula for a good tented camp experience,
Umlani for a good value for money experience,
Kings Camp for more top end,
Ngala Tented Camp for a great boutique tented camp

Hi J (AKA Pixelpower) - glad that was a typo and agree it can be better in Timbavati than SS. SS is always good too just pity about the lack of plains game
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 04:10 AM

I don't understand either, 2 days Cape Town then 4½ to 5 hours drive to Oudtshoorn why ?
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

hi braaiseason,

i know i have already opted for a new itinerary. I also might extend a stay for 2 more days and leave SA on 6 instead.
I would like 4nights cape town(includes a day trip to hermanus.2 nights Oudtshoorn,3nights Knysna(includes day trip to wilderness etc). And now the dilemma is whether Addo or Kruger with a kid. I think i would opt for Kwa Mbili. Neil the owner is very helpful and coperative. He is in touch with by email.good rates.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Hey Lauraj,

thanks for the suggestion. i will want to go to Kwa Mbili.I will look on the websites you mentioned. At this stage got a quote from Jenman, Wild Wings and Rhino Africa. I will opt for self drive holiday thats final. But the agency i need to finalise. I might drive till PE.(which is where booking with the agency will end). Then i might book Kwa Mbili on my own, manage Joberg and fly out of SA on 3rd or 6th(if i extend).

thanks once again
naman
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 10:59 AM

Still don't understand the choice for Kwa Mbili. Why not go for Umkumbe instead? Don't know if they allow kids to stay overnight but I think they do, as we saw day-trippers with kids there one day. At least then you'll be in a reserve that is not fenced (Sabi Sands), and the price is almost the same (R1850 instead of 21750). Actually, at R1850 it's a steal, compared to the prices of lodges around it (Sabi Sabi, Londolozi, Mala Mala...

Ciao,

J.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 11:56 AM

Thanks TP.
I have been to Kings Camp and like it especially for two of their guides/rangers who are into photography also (Patrick and Morne). Warren and wife are also great hosts there.

So, I'd sure go back (KC) but they have raised their rates (again) and I now question their value against many camps in the Timbavati and Sabi Sand. Especially if they have dropped their 4-for-3 and 8-for-6 deals I have used in past years?

Agree with you about lack of plains game in SS. Sometimes seems as if leopard are easier to find than zebra and/or giraffe!!!

regards - tom
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

thanks everybody for you comments. I will let you know once its final.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

hi guys,

this is my final itinerary and i have already made the bookings of some of them myself and i think it works out more cheap. I have extended my stay from 10 to 15 nights.this is how it looks:

self drive SA
CT- 24th-28th =4ngts Cape Riviera
Montagu- 28th-29th=1ngt Koo Karoo guest lodge
Oudtshoorn-29th-31st=2ngt De Denne guest house
Knysna-31st-2rd=2ngt The lofts
Addo-2rd-4th =2ngt Lupus den country house
KNP-4th-7th =3ngt Kwa Mbili lodge
Joberg-7th- 8th=1ngt (undecided)

I think i will go with avis for car hire. since there were many recommendations of forums of different sites.

Thanks to all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -