Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   South Africa or Brazil -- where should we go?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/south-africa-or-brazil-where-should-we-go-725220/)

Taia Jul 31st, 2007 07:41 AM

South Africa or Brazil -- where should we go??

We are debating where to go for 2 weeks in late November... and can't decide. Both are so appealing to us. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

atravelynn Aug 4th, 2007 03:00 PM

What a coincidence. I arrived in Brazil today. Went to South Africa in June. I couldnŽt decide so I did both. That means when I get back from Brazil, IŽll be going NOWHERE for quite awhile.

Check out this site for the best time to go to South Africa. Best means best wildlife viewing conditions and highest cost usually.
http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

Check out the weather in Brazil here.
http://www.iglutropical.com/aboutReg...?regionCode=BZ

You could call an agent that offers trips to both, such as the one below, and ask them to compare.
http://www.journeys.travel/

HariS Aug 4th, 2007 06:24 PM

Hi Lynn,

Enjoy your stay in Brazil and can't wait to see pictures when you get back home.

Rgds,
Hari

cary999 Aug 4th, 2007 10:38 PM

We have been to Brazil twice in the last 4 years. Both times we were pick pocketed and robbed. In one instance we felt physically endangered. Same thing happened in Argentina. I give up on South America. I just don't like having my guard up at 100% all the time, even simply walking down a busy street at mid day.
regards - tom

hills27 Aug 5th, 2007 10:19 AM

I wouldn't lump in all of South America with your experiences in two countries. It's a big continent.

sdiver Aug 5th, 2007 01:01 PM

Been to Brazil-Rio- and just returned from Kenya- I'd go back to Kenya in a second. The safari and the beach in Mombasa was awesome. Never felt threatened. The people are friendly and caring. If you decide to go...the Kenyan people are always looking for t-shirts and cotton socks. Bring a few extra as gifts and they will go a long way.

annhig Aug 5th, 2007 01:10 PM

hi, taia,

I've just got back from S Africa, and have never been to S. America, but I'd go back to S Africa any day. November would be a great time - the flowers should be in full bloom by then but it shouldn't be too hot.

2 weeks would give you time to do Cape town and the garden route.

regards, ann

combo Aug 5th, 2007 09:25 PM

Cary,
Brazil dangerous? - absolutely. But Argentina - I've never heard of anyone having a problem there. I have walked all over B.A. day and night and didn't feel the slightest bit at risk.

cary999 Aug 5th, 2007 11:33 PM

Well, combo here is what happened. We were looking around that part of BA the is known for its small buildings being painted vivid colors. I have forgotten the area/district but it is well known. Carolyn was carrying her little digital camera in her right hand when a young man walked near her and grabbed the camera off her wrist and started running. I was about 10 yards away and heard her start screaming police police. She then started to run after the fellow all the while screaming police. It was a rather open wide street area with a small park. Very few people around. Both of them running and I'm also running just trying to keep up with it all. After about perhaps 5 seconds or so the thief dropped the camera and kept running. We stopped and picked up the camera, it had only minor scratches and still worked. We still have the camera today, a Nikon Coolpix 775. It still works and I just loaned it out to a friend to take a couple of snapshots of a damaged car. It gets used about once a year for some such purpose.
So, there you have it. Now you have heard of someone having a problem in Argentina, BA. Perhaps we are the only one? Possible but not likely I'd bet.
regards - tom

Femi Aug 6th, 2007 06:54 PM

Tom, we were warned against being in La Boca after dark. I wasn't exactly comfortable wandering around during the day, it had a rather edgy feel to it.

What city did you visit in Brazil? It's hard to picture the entire country being unsafe.

Femi Aug 6th, 2007 06:56 PM

Lynn, can't wait to read about your Brazialian 'Safari'. It sounded like a great itinerary.

pixelpower Aug 6th, 2007 11:48 PM

I'm going to Brazil as well. Leaving september 1st. However, I'm only staying 2 nights in a city, just for overnight. I do not plan on leaving the hotel or shuttle bus "to and from".

At the airports, I keep my gear in my bag. They won't snatch that one off my back I think. and if they do, they won't get far as it weighs 15-20kg.

The rest of the journey is spent in lodges in the midst of nature (Iguazu, Pantanal, Amazon), and on Ilha Grande (where you are not allowed on the island if you do not have a place to stay, at least that what I've heard).

So altough the chance of people stealing my gear is minimal, I'd still like to know (if anyone can answer this):

- Can I leave some gear at the lodges? Is that safe to do?
- And how about the beaches on Ilha Grande?

I look forward to Lynn's travel story as well. Hope she can shed a light on the above qustions...

Ciao,

J.

atravelynn Aug 23rd, 2007 10:54 AM

Nothing dangerous happened to me, but I left the cities upon arriving at the airport and was out in the wild with a guide.

But I must mention that upon arrival in Sao Paulo, I counted 6 very kind, helpful, or generous acts by 6 different people. All went beyond normal courtesy and helped me out.

HariS Aug 24th, 2007 03:10 AM

Hi Lynn,

You back? hope you had a great trip.....welcome home!!!

Hari

QueenofDaNile Aug 24th, 2007 06:57 AM

Welcome home Lynn. Did you end up going with International Expeditions or another route? Where will you be posting your trip report/photos?
Hope you had a glorious trip.

cybor Aug 24th, 2007 07:32 AM

Hi Lynn,
You've been missed here - it's been quite uninspiring without your unique humour and valuable insights.

Please post your report if and when you ever have time on the African forum

Welcome back!
p.s. Have you been to Panama?

Nyamera Aug 24th, 2007 08:05 AM

Welcome back, Lynn! Did you see any jaguars?

BTW, I think Taia should go to South Africa.

atravelynn Aug 27th, 2007 06:17 AM

Yes, I did and I hesitate to state how many for fear of being labeled a liar or a dope smoker.

I went to the Paraguay River, where the jaguars are habituated to boats because it is a major shipping route. They love to lie along the banks in the sun.

Over 4 days along the Paraguay I saw 7 jaguars there--6 in one prolific afternoon, with photos of 5. Prior to the river I saw one briefly at night on the Transpantaneira Highway. So that makes 8 sightings. That's more jaguars in Brazil than leopards at Mala Mala or cheetahs at Phinda.

My experience was well above average, but not record setting. Although 6 in one day was a record for my guide. The record for Focus Tours (compapny I went with) is 11 jaguars in one day on the Paraguay River. I think that was last year in July. Usually 1-4 are seen over a 4 day stay in which you search 12 hours/day for at least 2 full days. In 10% to 20% of the 3 to 4-day trips none are seen, even in good conditions at the right time of year, which would be now.

On another note, I have the same feelings for the capybara, the largest rodent in the world, that you do for the topi. I saw many capybara.

Nyamera Aug 27th, 2007 09:09 AM

Lynn, until I see photos of the jaguars I’ll think you found something hallucinogenic in the jungle. Your passionate feelings for oversized rats only confirm my suspicion. ;)