South Africa - motorhome /campervan touring

Sep 13th, 1997, 10:59 PM
Doug

South Africa - motorhome /campervan touring

My wife and I (aged early 50s) are planning a touring holiday in RSA. For personal reasons, a campervan /motorhome rental seems (from here) to be our best option. However, we do have some queries.
Cost and availability?
Basic vehicle used?
Equipment and fittings (ie what would we need to bring with us?)
Quality and availability of camping grounds to major tourist areas?
Personal security - does the use of a motorhome "advertise" the fact we are tourists and therefore increase our vulnerability?
We would love to hear from anyone with good information.

Sep 23rd, 1997, 09:00 AM
Wilco

What a great choice of destination! Please read my response to Johannesburg as well. The campervans in South Africa are very similar to the ones used in Europe, including features and equipment. Please bring your international driver's licence with. Petrol costs approximately ZAR 2.20 per liter (US$ 0.50 per liter). The camping sites ar on average, very good to excellent. It is very safe to travel in this way, but be VERY cautious when travelling through Johannesburg and Durban city-centres. Johannesburg was recently rated as the most crime-ridden city in the world. I would travel around JNB, if you can help it. Distances are quite big between cities. You obviously find many many towns in between with camoing sites and national parks. From Cape Town to Johannesburg, the distance is approximately 1800 km. You will see the most of our lovely country by ways of motorhome/camper. Good luck!

Search this Thread