Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

South Africa - Kwazulu Natal and Drakensberg Mountains

Oct 2nd, 2018, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

I'm gonna give this another try. We're busy planning a trip through a part of South Africa that we have not yet visited. We consider ourselves South Africa veterans after 10 visits in 44 years.
Trip planned for the middle of January. Yes, I'm aware this is not an ideal time of year but it's linked to a special family birthday so what can I do?
A two day visit to Nambiti game park is first, followed by a four or five day tour of the Northern and Central Drakensberg Mountains. After that we'll return to the Durban area and explore the coast.

Question; has anyone stayed at the Mont-au-Sources hotel? Can anyone give me more information about the different hikes in the area? I have a zillion travel books but none of them is specific about the nature of the hikes (easy, medium, strenuous). Also: would the Central part of the Drakensberg also be worthwhile to visit?
I'm aware that January is the hottest month of the year.
Oct 3rd, 2018, 06:33 AM

I'm not sure why January is considered not an ideal time of the year. Out of all my trips to South Africa, the trip I enjoyed the most was January due to the fantastic weather which made swimming in the sea close to Durban delightful.
Oct 4th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

If we were to stay only in Durban I agree that January is a good month even though can still be very hot.
It's just not ideal for a visit to a game park (my brother in law insists on taking us to Nambiti) and I'm not sure about the Drakensberg mountains, hence my post on Fodors. I'm hoping that people who have travel experience in the Drakensberg Mountains are willing to give me suggestions.