Reload this Page >

S. Africa - Just Back - Questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Fiona

Hi, do you have any recommendations for Hermanus? Restaurants, places to stay, things to do?

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Celia

Joseph, I'm so glad you had a great time. (But I knew you would!). How was the game viewing in Natal, and did you stay at the Zululand Tree Lodge, and how was it? <BR> <BR>Celia

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 08:28 AM
Celia

Oh, I am SO jealous! We have never seen a leopard in the wild, and you see one on your first trip! No fair! <BR> <BR>Reading the description of your experiences has made us so homesick (awaysick?) for Africa that we're checking the finances now for a possible November 2002 trip. We have spent a day in Hermanus on a previous trip when we were staying in Cape Town; after reading your note we think we'll stay in Hermanus itself next time. We're also definitely checking into Phinda. <BR> <BR>Thanks for letting us all know about your great experiences. <BR> <BR>Celia

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:32 AM
fiona

Joseph, thanks a lot for your advice - I'm sure it will be very useful. We will also be in Cape Town, and hope to spend a few nights in the Winelands (probably Stellenbosch). Any further recommendations re. restaurants/hotels would be very welcome. Fiona

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Kavey

Celia <BR> <BR>If you have never seen a leopard in the wild may I recommend Mombo camp? <BR> <BR>We spent HOURS with the leopards (and cheetahs and lions) just following them in the jeep only a handful of feet away. <BR> <BR>There are few vehicules in the area which means they don't disturb the animals, and the animals have grown accustomed to them, many have seen them since they were cubs, which means you get closer than anywhere else. <BR> <BR>Elsewhere we did see leopards, but had to use binoculars. <BR> <BR>In Mombo I wouldn't dare stick a hand over the edge of the jeep, they really were that close. <BR> <BR>Hope you are able to experience the same pleasures Celia. And Joe I know you will love Botswana too. <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 08:48 PM
Scott

I am a college student who has the chance to study in Durban, SA for a month and a half. I would be living with a South African family, and teaching in their schools. In your more knowledgeable opinion, would South Africa be safe for a Study Abroad trip?<BR>Thanks, I appreciate any input that anyone could provide.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 04:37 AM
Zoe

We're going to be in Cape Town from 28 December for 5 days and I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for restaurants / clubs for new year's eve?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Zoe

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 04:31 PM
Jo

Hi Scott - I know Durban very well after living there for a year. I felt fairly safe there although there were no go areas, which the family you stay with should be able to assist you with. Do you know what area they live in?

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 12:45 PM
Jackie Cittone

Has anyone heard about the other Phinda lodges other than the forest lodge?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Mary

JC:<BR>Wow! Sounds fantastic. We are going to SA in Aug/Sept time frame. Going to Cape Town for a few days then to Singita for a few. Would love to know more about Cape Town. What did you do? Where did you go? Did you spend any time in wine country? Tell me your musts!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Sandy

Hi Joseph, I will be ia South Africa for about a monthin May. My friens works for sasol so he will be at work days. Is it safe for me to travel alone at this time? Sasol is located in Secunda, Eastern Transvaal/Mpumalaga.I would like to shop and take day trips ect. What do you think? What are the who,what's,when's and where's? Thanks for any info. Sean will leave thursday for a 2 week trip. Should he go ahead and buy tickets for our trip in May or was the price v effort not worth it?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:42 PM
TERESA

We have friends in Jburg who we would like to visit. The problem is the expensive airfare. Any suggestions on affordable air. Atlanta is closest airport. Thanks.