Cape Town, How many days?

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Town, How many days?

I am joining a tour of South Africa that starts in Jo'burg and ends in Cape Town. I would like to extend my stay in Cape Town, but I'm not sure how many extra days I should stay. The tour includes a visit to Robben Island, a visit to the top of Table Mountain and a visit to wine region near Cape Town. What else should I see/do in Cape Town? Thanks for any advise.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 11:08 AM

If your tour doesn't cover it, I'd add
1 day for drive down the coast to Cape Point, which could include stops along the way to see penguins at Simonstown, boat trip to island offshore with thousands of seals, and drive through the nature reserve at Cape Point

And if your tour doesn't include Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, I'd do that...deserves a leisurely 1/2 day.

Capetown is beautiful...I'd add at least 1 extra day to hangout , see a bit more, or return to somewhere that you loved...
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM

What she says ^^^ !!!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Kavey if that little squiggle in your mail means "ditto to Tashak's suggestion" then I say the exact same. RJames you need 3 more days in Cape Town in my opinion to do exactly what Tashak so wisely suggests. One important point and that is if you are arriving in Cape Town between July and the end of October I would add an extra day so as to visit Hermanus and its wonderful Southern Right whales.

Hope this helps.
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Yes, I wanted an up arrow and the ^ was the nearest thing!

We LOVED Cape Town - we had 6 days/ nights there in May.

It's a truly wonderful city, one of my very favourites ever ever ever.

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 03:45 PM

I agree with Kavey -- we had 3 days there before a safari in Botswana, then we came back and did the winelands and the coast over 4 more days. It is one of the most beautiful and interesting cities/areas I've ever visited. I'd say stay for at least 4 days and rent a car to get the most out of your time there. (See all of the "city" stuff without a car...but take the plunge and drive on the wrong side of the road the rest of the time. I didn't drive, I let my husband do that. I just popped a couple of Xanax and tried not to scream too loudly when he got too close to the ditches on the left hand side of the road.)
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:40 PM
sandi

Also to remember is that time at the top of Table Mountain can't be guaranteed as it is often covered in clouds. Ascertain whether you get your money back if this activity isn't done, or whether you can pay at the time. We had to wait two days before the clouds cleared so we could get up the mountain.

At minimum I would allow another 2-days.

Driving on the left can be an experience if you've never done so before; do know that whomever is in the passenger side will feel the gravel under them. It's not unusual for those used to "right-side-of-the-road driving" to do this, but eventually you get the hang of it.

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:35 PM

We knew about the clouds and Table Mountain -- on our first day there it was SO gorgeous, we realised that we should take advantage of it. I'm glad we did, as it turned out, the next day when we might have gone was rainy and cloudy, and when we came back over a week later, the "table cloth" was covering it! That was pretty, but we were glad we'd been up on a clear lovely afternoon.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:39 AM

I would have loved to see the table cloth on Table Mountain, but the weather was so nice during our 4 days in Cape Town that we didn't get that chance. It was extremely bad during our 5 days stay in the winelands, though! Not even table cloth weather, just grey and pouring rain ...