Search

A South African in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A South African in the USA

My accent is not very obvious so I often get asked... where are you from? And that is the opening to talk about South Africa and other places in Africa that I have had the privilege to visit like Botswana, Mozambique, Kenya and Zimbabwe.

I get really passionate as I get going as there is so much to share as I try to paint the African Sky with my words. So if you are thinking of going or planning a trip and have some questions. Drop me a note.

hamba kahle - go well in xhosa
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 05:01 AM

Welcome to Fodor's!
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 01:27 PM

Yes, welcome! I've loved South Africa since I first went there years ago.

Your metaphor of painting the African Sky with your words -- lekker!

Celia
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 07:11 PM

I recognized the South African accent after the first sentence!

Happy Sky Painting in your spectacular country.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:35 PM

South Africa is my favorite place on earth! The people,culture,scenic beauty,food/wine(love Pinotage!!!) and music are unbelievable. I am blessed to have the opportunity to fly there everyweek if I want to for work and I cannot tell you how many wonderful South Africans I have met on my various flights.Western Cape=heaven on earth.
Welcome-expect lots of questions!
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you All for your welcoming and thoughtful responses.

Baie Dankie (Afikaans for Thank you)

New 7 Wonders of the World - Congratulations Cape Town. Table Mountain Rocks!

In many City's when driving around you look out for markers to try get your bearings and understanding of where you are and where you need to be. In Cape Town you use the mountain.

It is the best table setting in the world and you have to see it.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 05:50 AM

My husband live in Texas and I will be headed to S Africa & Botswana in 3 weeks. We went to S Africa (Kruger area safari and Cape Town area) last year and became so enamored we're headed back already. Any tips for us on Botswana? We'll be doing a good bit of driving - from Hoedspruit to Tuli Block then to Central Kalahari Game Reserve and then up to Maun for a flight into the Okavango Delta.
I cannot wait to get back to S Africa and the wonderful people there! Hoping to make just as many fond memories in Botswana too!

By the way, where are you in the US?
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 07:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
kcrealty, where are you staying in the Tuli Block? We drove from Johannesburg to Mashatu in the Tuli Block and from there to the Sabi Sands and that is all an easy drive. I've been on mobile safaris in Botswana which entail lots of driving but not by me. Have a great trip! (I'm just south of you in SA)

destinationSA, like everyone else, I love South Africa too. And I love any excuse to talk about Africa. I was at the International Quilt Show in Houston 1.5 weeks ago and there was a vendor from RSA selling fabric. I had to buy some fabric just so I could visit with them.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 05:06 AM

sundowner, sounds like we're going the opposite of your trip...We first stay at Naledi Lodge (in SA near Kruger) then driving to Tuli where we'll be staying at Tuli Safari Lodge. That drive I'm good with but am hoping the 9-10 hours of driving from Tuli to Central Kalahari goes well. It's all pretty main roads from what I can tell though so hopefully fine.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Mashatu was one of the best game reserves I have ever been too. As a South African we think we know it all when it comes to the wild and I learned a lot from the rangers their. The food, service and lodging was luxury at the main camp. They also have a tent option if you want to rough it up a bit. My email is on my profile if you want suggestions for accommodation.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 04:50 PM
P_M

kcrealtyaustin, I'm an Austinite too and SA is high on my wish list. Have a great trip.

And welcome destinationSA, I hope to visit your country in the next couple of years.