Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   South Africa Itinerary-seeking advice/comments/suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/south-africa-itinerary-seeking-advice-comments-suggestions-416032/)

animallovernyc Aug 19th, 2008 08:33 PM

South Africa Itinerary-seeking advice/comments/suggestions

Hi. Hoping that you can give any comments/suggestions/advice on our proposed itinerary for our trip to South Africa (leaving next week). And if you have any suggestions on good hotels to stay at the places on our itinerary, that would be appreciated (for hotels, we are trying to find decent hotels that are clean and in safe areas, hopefully under $150 (USD) per night for the room.
Thanks.

Arrive in Cape Town at night.

Day 1 - Cape Town. Half day city tour and Table Mountain in first half of the day. Afternoon not yet planned.

Day 2 - Cape Town. Possible full day exploring Penninsula. Probably doing self drive tour as opposed to guided tour.

Day 3 - Either Cape Town for a 3rd day or the Winelands for the 1st day.

Day 4 - Winelands 1st or 2nd day depending on whether we spend the extra day in Cape Town. Trying to decide between Franschooek and Stellenbosch. Any suggestions as to a preference?

Day5 - Hermanus. Do some whale watching. Since it is the time when whales are in the area, can we enjoy good whale watching from shore, or would you suggest taking a whale watching excursion?

Day6 - AM - Shark siting tour. Drive PM to Oudtshoorn. Visit ostrich farm. Overnight Oudtshoorn.

Day 8 - AM Go to Meerkat Magic. Afterwards drive to Knysna or Plettenberg Bay.

Day 9 - Knysna or Plettenberg Bay

Day 10 - Drive to Eastern Cape safari for 4 nights.

Day 11 - Eastern Cape safari

Day 12 - Eastern Cape safari

Day 13 - Eastern Cape safari

Day 14 - PM drive to Port Elizabeth to catch internal flight to Johannesburg. Overnight jo'burg.

Day 15 - AM - Charter flight to Madikwe safari for 4 nights.

Day 15 - Madikwe

Day 16 - Madikwe

Day 17 - Madikwe

Day 18 - Afternoon depart on charter flight back to Jo'burg, connect to international flight back to NYC.

Celia Aug 20th, 2008 05:40 AM

In the winelands, I think you'll find more hotels in your price range in Stellenbosch than in Franschhoek. The former is a University town, and larger. The latter is smaller and geared toward wine and foodie types, so the lodgings tend to be pricier.

I like both towns, but find Stellenbosch more diverse, and the student population means there are more good places to eat that aren't as expensive as in Franschhoek.

Have a wonderful time!

Celia

atravelynn Aug 20th, 2008 08:55 AM

I have just one suggestion. In the afternoon go to Robben Island after Table Mountain.

And one confirmation--A full day in the penninsula is great. You can visit the penguins as part of this.

Now a question--What do you know about Meerkat Magic?

atravelynn Aug 20th, 2008 09:04 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35151256

My last entry in my SA trip report is on Robben Island. I stuck this link to it in to further advocate a visit here. There is nothing like a visit to Robben Island anywhere, being guided by a former prisoner. Some day, even though people will be able to visit the structure, the direct human connection will no longer be there when the ex-prisoners (and I think some former guards) are gone or not able to guide.

On your itinerary when you mention either Cape Town for a 3rd day or winelands, here is what I'd do since you like animals. I'd do a morning Baboon Walk, then head out for the winelands. Simons Town, where the Baboon walk takes place is 45 minutes from Cape Town. The baboon orientation, transport and walk takes about 3 1/2 hours total.

AK_gal Aug 22nd, 2008 08:50 PM

What I like to do before a trip anywhere, is to read the local news papers. I find www.news24.com pretty good, and it has links to all the major local papers. It also gives you local reviews from South Africans from everything from cars to restaurants. Also a good way to find out if there's any special events going on in a specific area. I went to school in Stellenbosch and there is always something cool going on, from drama to classical and popular music (Stellies is known for their excellent conservatorium and short lunch hour concerts as wells as a diverse and progressive popular music scene). Maybe you'll get to experience something that is not typical touristy.