South Africa Itin. Suggestions

Mar 7th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

South Africa Itin. Suggestions

Well, we have finally decided we are going to stay in S.A. for our first trip to Africa. We have 8 nights outside of our time in Cape Town for game viewing. What would you suggest for an itinerary to maximize game viewing? We are on a "budget" ($5000 or so total excluding airfare) so we don't mind some middle of the road accomedations and would be willing to splurge for a couple of nights.

Would you suggest staying in Kruger the whole time and doing a self drive - if so, to where? Or would you suggest visiting different areas? I am overwhelmed with the options!
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Hi Punky,

I posted this on your old thread, but just in case...

Based on what you've written, I'm assuming that your budget is $5000 for both of you ($2500 per person) not including flights. If you have $5000 per person, you have a lot more options -- either more time in a private reserve, or a more expensive reserve like Londoz or Mala Mala.

I think you'll get the most bang for your buck if you stay in SA rather than having your budget eaten up by flights. You can book very inexpensive flights from Joburg to Nelspruit/Kruger on Kulula (www.kulula.com). The prices go as low as R299 ($50) one-way. This may be more economical than self-driving as you won't have to pay for both car hire and petrol, and you also won't be spending the first 6 hours of your holiday on the road. If you fly both ways, you now have $2400 per person, or $300 per person per night.

With this budget, you can definitely afford to spend some time in a private reserve as well as in Kruger. You could self-drive for 5 nights, and spend the other 3 at a private reserve.

In Kruger, if you stay at Olifants camp in a bungalow with the best river view, it will be R600 per night (R300 per person). The conservation fee is R120 per person per day. So your daily expenses will be a minimum of R420 ($70) per person, not including food (inexpensive), car hire, and petrol.

Ranger-led game drives will cost an additional R100-R115, and walks R175 (afternoon) or R220 (morning). You will probably want to do at least one ranger-led drive near the beginning of your stay to pick up some pointers on spotting animals.

For your private reserve stay, I'd recommend the Sabi Sands for the superb predatory viewing, particularly of leopard. Whilst many of the lodges are very expensive (Singita, Mala Mala, Londolozi) there are less expensive options as well, such as Chitwa Chitwa (www.chitwa.co.za) or Nottens Camp (www.nottens.com). Combining three nights there or at a place in a similar price range should enable you to stay within your budget.

Cheers,
Julian
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:57 AM

My idea agrees with Julian's -- a few days in Kruger, followed by a stay in the Sabi Sands (not at one of the exhorbitant lodges, but at one of the more reasonably priced lodges that Julian mentions). Julian's split (5 nights Kruger/3 in Sabi Sands) seems about right, and you could stay at two or three different camps in different parts of Kruger.

Search this Thread