1 week Safari for $2500 w/airfare?

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Mike

1 week Safari for $2500 w/airfare?

Is it realistic to take a one week safari to Africa(Kenya or Botswana) from the US with airfare included for &lt; $2500 per person? Any recommendations?<BR>Thanks Mike

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Lisa

Airfare will run you between $1000 to $1500 depending on the time of year and where you are flying from. South African Airways often offers specials at around $999 from New Yor or Atlanta. You will then need to spend another couple of hundred dollars to fly to the game reserve area.I can speak better of safaris in South Africa.So I am sorry if I cannot answer about Kenya. For Botswana, you will still have to fly to Soputh Africa first. <BR><BR>If you go in their winter, it is much cheaper and there is better viewing. Also there is a good exchange rate with the South African Rand.<BR><BR>There are definitely differences in rates from different camps. The government run Kruger Park (self drive) is much cheaper. If you want a safari with guided landrover tours and meals, there is a range of prices. Do a search on "Safari resorts africa" as a starting place.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Sandy

Contact Ken Hieber at www.2Africa.com. We went on a GREAT safari in Kenya (Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru) for a week for less than that.<BR><BR>The food, lodging, guide, everything was perfect, we had a wonderful trip.<BR><BR>Tell Ken hi for me!<BR>Sandy

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 07:23 AM
L

The answer is very like NO. I've just booked exactly what you're describing, in my case Botswana. Airfare to J'Burg - about $1250/pp. Overnight - and then Air Botswana to Maun - $400, plus or minus. Light aircraft to Moremi Reserve (cost?) - where you can expect to spend at least $350-$500 per night. This will not include alcohol, transfers, tips, etc. Why not contact an agency like Karell (they have a website), and get a quote. If you can find a way to do it for $2500, go for it. But be very careful you're getting a quality package with lots of good game drives, decent digs and food, plus all the hidden stuff (like 14% plus VAT). Ciao

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Thyra

My husband and I booked a 9 day safari, including air from 2Afrika. The cost including taxes $2155.00 per person, and we added a 5 day stop over in Amsterdam on the return... without the stop-over it would have been $2025. PP.<BR>All meals, 8 game drives, English speaking guide, RT air, transpo, hotels, all covered by this price. <BR>I was referred to 2afrika by Frommer's, and checked references extensively. <BR>We have not taken our trip yet, but thus far I have found Ken Heiber to be extremely responsive. We are travelling in the off season, but even in the peek season, it's only aboutr $300.00 more PP to take this same trip. <BR>I am counting down the days!

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 12:03 PM
L

Another thought: talk with Fisheagle Safaris in Houston, TX, and with Karell Travel in Coral Gables, FL. The principals of these firms are from S. Africa. Obtain quotes for the top of the line places ... these are the places offering the best rangers and trackers, trained naturalists, with a schedule geared to guarantee you'll see what you want to see. If this is a trip you'll take only one time, go for QUALITY ... and that will cost you more. For a safari, there are all sorts of packages at all sorts of price levels. Do yourself a favor and do some research about the best reserves to visit, and the best times of the year. Don't just think Kenya. Get that information in mind before you start thinking of a specific cost level. After you've done your safari, and you evaluate your experience, you'll see that price is NOT the correct place to start your planning. This site has great background information ... do some research and you'll find it. Good luck. Ciao