Search

Photos now online

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photos now online

I just finished putting some of my Kenya photos on Ofoto.com for those who may wish to view them.

I am not an expert photographer like Kavey so don't expect anything too much.

Either type in or copy:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=fy9zpit...1&y=ceu1bt

You will need to log in, but it is free.

Hope you enjoy them.

Jan
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Great photos Jan!
Thanks for sharing. The Elephant Watch Camp looks pretty doggone inviting. I love the way they incorporated the wood from the fallen/dead trees.

The photos of the poor ele w/ the spears in her head brought tears to my eyes. I don't know how you did it but I'm sure those weren't very easy to take.

What was the final outcome of her and the other family members who were speared? Do you know?

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

divewop:

Ozora stands a 50/50 chance of surviving because of the depth of penetration of spears in the skull.
Ottaline, who you see the vet. treating, stands a good chance of surviving. It appears that a third member of the family Odile is dead, but I haven't had that confirmed yet.

We keep you up to date on the family as I have news of them.

Thanks for caring.

Jan
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 12:05 AM

I'm not an expert!

I loved looking at those, especially liked seeing not just all the wonderful animals but the accommodation too... You have some amazing pics...

The lions look really dark skinned - is that a local trait?
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:28 AM
sandi

Jan - great photos - the speared ellees were the hardest to get thru - so sad. But nice to see the healthy families and the baby ellees - great photo of them leaving the water.

Thanks for the less seen pics - baby hyenas, the gerenuk, grevy's zebra, reticulated giraffe, cory bustard.

And Elephant Watch Camps looks real interesting, some great design work with natural materials. An alternative to a visit to Amboseli.

Thanks for sharing.

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:34 AM

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed my "tour" of Kenya through your eyes as I sipped my morning coffee. Some great images.

The mixture of hyenas peering from dens, dust devils twirling, leopards lounging, cheetahs scouring the plains and elephants - bold and brave was an intoxicating blend.

Thanks for letting us peer in.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Great photos. A couple of questions:

1. What's the first picture -- a dead buffalo?

2. Are the first baby hyenas striped or spotted hyenas -- and were they also taken in Samburu?

Thanks,

Michael
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:38 AM

Thanks for sharing Jan -- excellent photos.

I really enjoyed the baby hyenas. Some heartbreaking but very powerful images of the poor eles. The lodging looks unique and exceptional.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Kavey - the lions are dark looking simply because they have been in the swamp eating a dead zebra so they are wet and muddy.

ThitCho - The first picture is indeed a dead buffalo killed during the night by the man-eaters of Tsavo.

The hyenas are spotted hyenas and they were found at Amboseli.

Jan
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Jan,

You got me into real trouble today. Logged on before I went to work, thought I'd have a quick sneak preview and then look later in the day. But once I started I had to look at all 132 photos. Result ....... late for work!!!

The photos are great - a real mix of experiences & I lived them all through your photos. The camp looks wonderful; I loved the river photos; the poor ele with the spears really saddened me. It's all a bit much before my first caffeine intake of the day.

Please can you tell me a bit more about the camp next to the river. What is it called, which area is it in, what is the game viewing like etc.

Thanks, Ruth
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:13 PM

JanGoss

DUH! Always look for the most likely explanations first!
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Ruthie:

The camp is Elephant Watch Camp. It is in Samburu approximately 45 - 60 minutes flight north from Nairobi on Air Kenya. This is the first time I've been there and I MUST go again.

Many of you have seen Iain Douglas-
Hamilton on television over the years hearing of his study of the elephants at Lake Manyara. His wife, Oria, has been working with him all these years. She decided to build her own camp in Samburu near where Iain's office is. It is truly a beautiful spot on the Uaso Nyiro River. Everything is so elegantly done and the food is out of this world.

I saw things in Samburu in three days that I haven't seen in my five previous trips to Kenya. I don't know if this is because it is the dry season or if it is this way most of the time. I plan on going back again mid-to late January.

You can find out more about this fantastic camp by logging in to
www.elephantwatchsfaris.com. Oria has a very complete website. There are only five tents which limits the number of guests to about 11 people. She also has Olerai House which is her farm in Naivasha and people can also opt to stay there. I haven't been there yet, but I am sure based on Elephant Watch Camp that everything must be A-1. From what I understand though there are not many wild animals around Naivasha. Would be a great place to acclimate from jet lag or just to "veg out".

I wouldn't hestitate to recommend Elephant Watch to anyone. Check out the website and start planning!

Jan
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 03:33 PM

Great photos: thanx for posting. I never tire of looking at everybodies pics.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 03:49 PM

I'm assuming that the Saba Douglas-Hamilton on recent series of Big Cat Diary is the daughter of Iain and Oria?