South Africa - hungry for info

Sep 12th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

South Africa - hungry for info

We're going to SA in late Oct (almost there!!!) and are completely hungry for all the books and history we can find.

We have read (most Selwyn highly recommended to me -Thanks Selwyn!):
--Long Walk to Freedom (MUST READ if you're traveling there)
--(in process)My Traitor's Heart: A South African Exile Returns to Face His Country, His Tribe, and His Conscience by Rian Malan
--Country of My Skull : Guilt, Sorrow, and the Limits of Forgiveness in the New South Africa - Antjie Krog
--Amandla! dvd
--Air Jaws (dvd about the Great Whites near Seal Island)

We want more!!! Any fantastic book or movie selections?

Thanks!
Ruth
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:14 PM

We're off to SA next Friday, so I've been reading loads of books for quite some time now.
Two that I would recommend:
*Fault Lines - Journeys into the New South Africa, by David Goodman.
Quote from Archbishop Desmond Tutu "A searingly honest book by someone who really knows his subject".
*Beyond the Miracle - Inside the new South Africa, by Allister Sparks.Opening quote from Thabo Mbeki "It is not given to every generation that it should be present during and participate in the act of creation".
Happy reading!
Sep 13th, 2005, 06:21 AM

There have been some recent postings here with book suggestions; you might try a search for "books" or some such title. A couple that come to mind are Fuller's "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight", "Empire Settings" by David Schmamann, novels by Nadine Gordimer (although I think her best works are the ones she wrote in apartheid times, not after), novels by Andre Brink (I think he's sort of pompous, but he's highly regarded in parts of the literary world). Historic bodice-ripper blood-and-thunder books by Wilbur Smith, heart-breakingly good novels by J M Coetzee, and the sweet books by Alexander McCall Smith set in Botswana, "The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency" and others.

I see my suggestions are all novels but one; that's because I majored in literature. Some of the historians and scientists here can recommend more.

Search this Thread