Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   South Africa honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/south-africa-honeymoon-491250/)

jasullivan74 Dec 17th, 2004 09:55 AM

South Africa honeymoon

We are planning our late April/early May 2 week honeymoon to South Africa and Botswana. Our idea is to spend about a week in the Capetown area, probably staying in a B&B in Stellenbosch and exploring in a rental car. We want to see Capetown obviously, but also go shark diving in Gansbaai and enjoy the vineyards.

Then our plan is to fly up to Victoria Falls, and over the course of the 2nd week, spend some time doing activities there and finish up with a 3 day stay in/near Chobe National Park in Botswana for a taste of wildlife.

Any help or thoughts with any part of this trip would be appreciated (like B&B suggestions in the winelands) because we haven't booked anything yet. Thanks!

kerikeri Dec 17th, 2004 11:22 AM

hi

with only a 3 week trip under my belt- i would like to suggest that you might get a better taste of wildlife by sticking to kruger if you are not intending to go to the delta in botswana as it is a long trip away from sa. kruger would be closer and give you more options and more animals...
others i'm sure , will have other ideas.

Roccco Dec 17th, 2004 11:53 AM

kerikeri,

Actually, since the author is already going to be in Victoria Falls, Chobe will be a lot easier to reach than Kruger. Although I have not been to Chobe, I believe it is only about a 2 hour drive from Victoria Falls.

sandi Dec 17th, 2004 12:18 PM

Our trip was also only two weeks when we visited Southern Africa, and we managed to get quite a bit of gameviewing included, and I'm assuming you wish to accomplish this.

While CPT is a beautiful city, in fact, one of the nicest anywhere, I feel 1-week is way too much time to spend here - that is unless you're really into wine!!!
Ideally, 4-full days in CPT works - doing a day to dive with the great whites (be certain this is done your first or second day, not the third, as it isn't recommended you fly after diving - though you really don't dive that deep). Another day you can spend out in the Winelands, another for a trip to Cape Point, the Kirstenbosh Gardens, even have time for a trip to Robben Island and other activities around CPT.

You can then fly to VFA - bear in mind that you'll have to fly via JNB and the airfare JNB/VFA/JNB alone will run about $350+ r/t per person. You will only need 1-day here to view the falls, unless you wish some other activities. If that is the case, I'd suggest you stay on the Zambia side and take in whatever activities here over 2-days time. Skip Chobe, and return fly to JNB. From JNB you can fly to Kruger and spend 3 or 4 days gameviewing at one camp or divided between two camps if spending 4-days.

Because you are in a National Park at Chobe, you are limited to on-road driving only. Also, as Chobe is known for its large herds of elephants (so I hear 30,000 or more, though we only saw 3) there is tremendous damage done by the ellees. On the other hand, if visiting Kruger and staying on private reserve lands, you can navigate everywhere - roads will not inhibit you getting as close as possible to animals.

If you really wish to visit Botswana, I would suggest you go to the Delta rather then Chobe, where your game viewing will be much better. If you do this, then you can skip Kruger.

But consideration has to be taken as regards your budget, which you do not indicate. Accommodations in the Delta and/or Kruger can run, at minimum $500/pn/pp to $1,000/pn/pp, but these prices include your activities and all meals and most incidentials.

kerikeri Dec 17th, 2004 02:35 PM

i forgot to add one thing.

congratulations!

Kavey Dec 17th, 2004 02:41 PM

Congrats!
We landed in Cape Town in early May (this year) for the start of our 2 month Southern Africa adventure.
My first thought is that you're moving around a lot in a short time. But I appreciate that you're keen to see CT, the Falls and enjoy some game viewing too.
My suggestion would be to spend 6 nights in Cape Town (in which time you'll be able to see the sights of CT, explore the peninsula, take in the Winelands and experience shark diving). I'd follow that by 5 nights of safari. And I'd finish with 3 nights at the Falls. As for that safari portion in the middle, you could consider Botswana, South Africa or Zambia as all are within fairly short flights from Vic Falls. Which one I'd suggest would depend a lot on what kind of budget you have?