Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

South Africa -- Garden Route / Capetown / Wine Country

Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Two of us (in our 30s) will be in Capetown for six nights in the beginning of May. I think that's too long to stay put in Capetown, so I'm looking for a way to diversify the trip. Do we do part of the Garden Route? Daytrips to wine country? Keep in mind that we already will have gone on a Safari.

Thanks for your ideas in advance!
Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:08 PM

Garde route is beautiful but a bit of a tourist trap.
We liked the West Coast north of Capetown. Saldana. Langebaan Nat'l Park is beautiful. Cederberg, Tulbagh. Drive back via Swartbergens. Stunning!
Hermanis and Overberg also nice. It can already be colder in May though so take proper clothing.
Mar 4th, 2010, 06:53 AM

If you're a wine enthusiast at all, visit the wine country. The wineries differ in their approach to visitors and tastings, but you will find delightful wines and delightful wine makers. The contrasts between Stellenbosch and Paarl are interesting too. If wine isn't a big deal for you, you'll still enjoy the pretty scenery and good infrastructure.

I think the Garden Route is simply an invention of the tourist bureau. It's certainly scenic, but that's all, really.

Hermanus is a great little seaside town, but I don't know if May is whale watching season.

You might enjoy a day trip from Cape Town down to Simonstown to see the penguins. The town itself is interesting too, especially if things naval appeal to you.

Have a great time!
Mar 4th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! All good ideas. Definitely want to see penguins. And, thanks for your perspective on the garden route. Good to know!
Mar 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM

We loved visiting the vineyards. Aside from the wine, the settings are just so lovely. Additionally Stellenbosch has a cute town center as well.

Info and pics in our Southern Cape post at http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot.com/
Mar 5th, 2010, 05:55 PM

I would absolutely add a day in the wine country, and a trip down to the Cape of Good Hope. Both are easy to do from a base in Cape Town. You can do the penguins in Simonstown on the way to or from the Cape.
Mar 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM

yes i agree this may be too long for capetown....we loved the garden route...hermanus would be good for a couple of days just to relax....we loved plennenburg, but it is a long way...