Search

Marrakech and Fes Riad help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marrakech and Fes Riad help

We're going to Morocco (Marrakech and Fes)this December. I've just started to look for accomodation and am undecided on whether I want to stay in a riad or a hotel..appreciate the experience, but also like my privacy. Would we be able to have any privacy in a riad? If I am to go that route, our budget is about $100 USD per night. Any reccomendations would be appreciated...where can I reserve rooms...Thanks for your help in advance...
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:02 AM

I have heard comments from people staying in a riad... They found the place gorgeous first... but later on changed their mind as it was very noisy :

1) with all the rooms giving on the inner patio...

2) the usual 5 o'clock (morning) mosque call for prayer

3) others had a room giving on one of the narrow Marrakech streets, so no view, and noise late in the night + early in the morning...

But the atmosphere was wonderful and their hosts very helpful and nice people. And they were able to try "family Moroccan food" that you won't find in the regular restaurants...
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Joelle. I looked into the Kenzi Farah which has some good deals however the rules state that the hotel can change the rates at any time which I find odd...is this normal practice in Morocco? Does this mean that the price for the room can change once we check out?
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:03 PM

Hi
We stayed in a Riad in Marrakech last summer and loved it. I can't imagine being in Marrakech and staying in a hotel - somehow I don't think the experience would be the same.

We used the website www.terremaroc.com to book Riad Clémentine, in the Bab Doukkala area of the Medina (I've mentioned it a few times on this board already). No problems with noise, loved the atmosphere, rooms and decor. And we loved walking out of the riad and wandering through the maze of streets into the souk and then on to Place Jemma el Fnaa. If I return to Marrakech I'll definitely choose to stay at that Riad again.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:03 AM

If you take a close look at all hotels web sites, you will always see a disclaimer saying that prices may change without notice.

Once your booking is made and confirmed, I'm afraid they cannot change the price.

You can also use the central reservation office of a hotel chain for your bookings. We never had problems doing so worldwide.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM

nks267
I stayed at http://www.riad-aviateur.com/ in October. It's a small riad so we felt we had plenty of privacy. We had the blue suite and I can't remember if we payed 55 or 65 euros but it was less than the posted rate. The owners are french and were not there but the two Moroccan's managing the property that were wonderful. At this riad we could only hear the call to prayer on the roof top patio so we were not awaken by it in our room. From the riad to Jemma Al Fnaa was about 10 minute walk if you don't get lost which is easy to do. If I go back to Marrakech I would stay again in a riad not a hotel.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:13 AM

nks267
I forgot to put my two cents in about Fes. We stayed at Hotel Batha which we were very happy with. Although it's not a riad the rooms are very Moroccan in feel, decent sized as was the bathroom which had a tub, the toilet was in it's own little closet. The hotel offers an ok breakfast in the beautiful large courtyard which also has a swimming pool. The hotel is located literally across the street from the Medina. The hotel also set us up with super accomadations in the desert as well as a guide for the medina which was crucial for Fes. We payed $45 US. You can see it at http://www.octopustravel.com/
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. It looks like many of the riads are already booked (the ones within my range atleast!). I'm thinking of Riad DarElsiam or hotel Kenzi Farah in Marrakech. How many days would you say would be enough in Fes? WE plan to be in Marrakech for 4 days and Fes for 3 and Tangier for 1 day before we head off to Spain.