South Africa Christmas Break with Family

Jul 7th, 2019, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

South Africa Christmas Break with Family

Hi..
We are planning a trip to South Africa over Christmas Break with my Husband and 2 sons ( 9 and 14 ) ...
Arriving on Johannesburg on Dec 22nd and Leaving on January 4th .... That is 13 days in South Africa

My kids would love to do a safari and my Husband would love to hit the beach..... I would love to soak it up as much as I can since this is a once in a life time experience ...

I know it is a lot to chew and not too much time ... so if you guys could tell me what not to miss....where not to waste my time and any itineraries that family with younger teens have enjoyed ... for me to further my search ... It would be of great help.

Thanks

Caty
Jul 16th, 2019, 03:46 AM

Hi Caty1973,

South Africa over the Christmas Break is a very popular time to travel and availability can be limited. You will want to start looking at booking sooner rather than later.

I would suggest an itinerary which includes Cape Town, a private game reserve near the Kruger and potentially the Durban Coast for swimming. You can definitely swim in Cape Town although the water is very cold!

Cape Town is an amazing city and has a lot to offer for families. You can hike or take the cable car up table mountain, swim with penguins at Boulders Beach, go to the Cape of Good Hope, visit Robben Island which is where Nelson Mandela was held, walk around the V&A waterfront, visit the beaches of Camps Bay, Cliftons Beach, Hout Bay and if you are an adventure seeking family, go Shark Cage Diving. The list really is endless in Cape Town.

I would spend at least 3-4 nights at a safari property. There are many properties which offer an awesome experience for you and the kids. If you are set on visiting the Natal Coast for nice swimming in the ocean I would recommend Phinda Private Game Reserve. It's a gorgeous property with amazing game viewing. You can then organise a transfer to Uhmlanga Rocks. Otherwise there are many options which borders the Kruger National Park in reserves such as Sabi Sands, Timbavati, Thornybush, Manyaletti Game Reserve. All with incredible game viewing. It really does depend on availability as many of these lodges book out early in the year and your budget.

An option also is to add Victoria Falls into the mix. It's easy and accessible from South Africa and you can do a cool experience visiting the Falls over a 2 night period.

I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. It can be quite overwhelming.

Kind Regards,
Karen.
Jul 16th, 2019, 09:39 AM

We've been to South Africa over Christmas/New Year 2-3 times and it is a great time to go. Weather is wonderful for a start. At least 2 of those occasions we booked very late and one time we could not get a rental car in Cape Town from anyone. In the end we rented a car at JNB airport and drove to Durban, the beaches are very nice north of Durban (Shaka's Rock, Ballito etc) and some are swimmable. The waters around Durban are warm, some places have tidal pools to swim in (Thompsons Bay Beach). Durban has a great area for restaurants (Florida Road), the seafront has things going on and the kids might enjoy uShaka Marine world.

The jewel in the crown is Cape Town, the scenery is amazing, we love the area around Camps Bay, Clifton, Hout Bay (good area to stay and it has a great beach but you might prefer something a little closer to CPT). Lots of things for everyone to do, excursions to see seals, horseriding at Nordhoek beach, World of Birds @Hout Bay, cheetah outreach outside CPT.