South Africa--Cell Phone

Mar 15th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

South Africa--Cell Phone

We are leaving for South Africa in 3 weeks. Wish to rent a cell phone(pick up in Capetown & drop off in Joannesburg airports). Spending a month there. Need company contact, rates & coverage. Have any suggestions or experiences?
Mar 15th, 2005, 10:28 AM

How much calling do you plan to do and what type of phone do you own now? The reason that I ask is because it's rarely cost effective to rent a phone for an extended period of time or if you plan to do extensive calling. In addition to the rental cost, per minute rates charged by rental companies are generally higher than if you purchased a prepaid SIM. If you already have a phone that operates on GSM 900 (there's also GSM 1800 in South Africa but I think it's less prevalent than 900), you'll be able to use it. Even if your current phone is 'locked' to your local provider, you can easily get it unlocked for free or fairly low cost. If you don't have a phone that will work, I've seen some unlocked GSM 900 phones sell on ebay for around $50. You can then purchase a prepaid SIM when you arrive in South Africa and buy additional airtime as you need it. Just something for you to consider.
Mar 15th, 2005, 12:16 PM

I recently rented a phone from Vodashop Rentafone. It cost R9.95 per day for insurance and R2.74 per minute for local calls. I didn't make any international calls and wasn't given the rate but I could have made international calls if I wanted. I did have a problem with the phone cutting out despite full reception and the person on the other end not being able to hear me sometimes but that could well have been caused by user error!
Mar 16th, 2005, 12:07 PM

We also rented fom Voda at Johannesburg airport. Same daily rate...very, very reasonable we thought. Had no problems at all. International to you are at no charge. We called the US and I cannot remember charge..but it was very reasonable. We returned the phone to Capetown.

Search this Thread