South Africa: Blank face-to-face pages?

Feb 14th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

South Africa: Blank face-to-face pages?

I have one little US customs stamp on page 18 of my passport, nothing on page 19 or 20 and another little US stamp on page 21 which is the last page. The problem is that pages 18 and 19 face each other and page 20 and 21 face each other. There is plenty of room for the large SA sticker on any of the last four pages…do I really need to freak out about this?
Feb 14th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Yup, I would get extra pages added right away.
Feb 14th, 2007, 12:38 PM

if you have the time get the pages added. they really mean it. people we were with arrived in sa from canada and were put back onto the next plane to paris where they had to visit their embassy to have the blank pages added. it'[s up to you whether yu want to freak out, but i'[d take action immediately to get those blank facing pages in.

Feb 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM

I would email the SA Embassy and get clarified.

I just looked at my passport and they used page 15 & 16 which are not face to face. They put a departure stamp on pg 15 & 16. My entry stamp and temp residence sticker is on 16. Even Mozambique put a couple stamps on 16 and used 17 for their visa sticker
Feb 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM

To help you out a little more. This is straight off the Washing D.C. web site of the SA Embassy. See below:

Foreigners intending to visit South Africa must have at least one unused visa page in their passports for the purpose of endorsement. The unused page needed for endorsement purposes is separate from pages in a passport reserved for observations and amendments.
Feb 14th, 2007, 03:56 PM

I would not take the chance. Get some blank pages. I wasn't aware of how strict South Africa was until I was in Namibia and a friend's girlfriend from the UK was initially denied entry into SA because she only had one page open. They told her she need at least 3 (I don't know if this included comment pages). They finally allowed her a 24 hour visa and she had to pay $$$$ to get an emergency passport from the British embassy. Since I was entering SA at the end of our trip and wasn't sure if I would have an open page, I took extreme measures to ensure I had several free pages when I got there. I won't describe them as some were not kosher.
Feb 14th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Don't take a chance. The man behind us in line for check in on a SAA flight from NY to Johannesburg had been denied boarding the priod day because of this issue and had to spend the next 24 hours frantically trying to fix the problem. In the meantime, his wife and children went on to SA without him.
Feb 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM

MaddieAstrid,

Heres a one line answer to your question.

DEFINITELY obtain some more blank passport pages or you unfortunately wont be visiting our country. .

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Feb 14th, 2007, 08:48 PM
santharamhari

I agree....you are going to need additional pages for future travel anyways....so, you may as well get it NOW!!!

Hari

Feb 15th, 2007, 07:35 AM
sandi

If your passport isn't due to expire and you have few blank pages and not the facing pages for SA, suggest you have pages added. Download the form from the USPassport site, complete and send w/current passport. There is no charge for this and though the passport offices are doing double-time these days for new and renewal passports, added pages should take but 3-4/weeks, it that. Believe mine was returned to me in less than 3/wks.

Once this is done, you'll have another 26/pages and you can travel to destinations far and wide till the passport expires (really, at least 6/mo prior expiration).

If you travel a lot, when renewing ask for the larger 48/pg passport than the standard smaller one.