South Africa August Possible Itinerary

Old Mar 8th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Africa August Possible Itinerary

We are making progress on our search for a first time vacation to Africa. To say we are excited would be such an understatement. I have received my first thorough response from a solicited consultant. I have spent the past few weeks researching these boards as well as trip advisor. I really appreciate the knowledge and experience from you Fodorites. I would really like to hear your views on this "first draft" itinerary. There are already a couple of things I will change, but I want to see what you all suggest first.
Thanks so much for your help.
We are a group of 2. Dh and myself. Traveling from Philadelphia. We are flexible as to time but prefer August at this point due to lowest airfare. We are planning soon-June -August. Somewhere between 8-12 days.
I've requested Kruger private reserve, No city tours, wildlife is main priority with fewest possible people in a vehicle. Not ultra luxury-no butlers or plunge pools, but must at least have en suite bath. No self catering or self drive.
Would like to see Kruger, Vic Falls and Chobe if time permits. Kruger and widlife being the priority.
This is what I've gotten so far.:
routing for the itinerary is as follows:

6 Nights - Kruger Park at to different lodges - in 2 different areas
3 nights Chapungu Lodge Timbavati Luxury Tent - Double on a Full Board & Activities
3 nights Arathusa Safari Lodge Standard - Double on a Full Board & Activities

2 Nights Victoria Falls
The Kingdom at Vic Falls Standard - Double on a Bed & Breakfast
Sundowner Cruise
Tour of the Falls

2 Nights Chobe
Chobe Safari Lodge Safari Double Room
1 Morning Game Drive & 1 Afternoon Boat Cruise

All transportation included except internatinal flight from and to USA. Included is ground transportation and the 3 flights from Joh to Kruger to Livingstone to Johan.

Thank you for any help!
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Ooops, I forgot to also say that in addition to the itinerary, I would like your opinions on the resorts themselves if you have any input. A couple I have researched previously. Some others I hadn't heard much about.
Thank you.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Have you priced this out day-by-day -with- air transfers? (You, or your agent, should). Not sure, but I'm thinking Chobe Lodge may be rather expensive if staying only 2 days. Can you work it to perhaps 4 days?

Same question about cost breakdown for Chapungu and Arathusa. Chapunga in Timbavati and Arathusa in Sabi Sand reserves. Transfer between by charter flight, $300-400? I would be tempted to look at all six nights in Sabi Sand reserve at perhaps two of the &Beyond camps, Exeter River Lodge and Kirkmans. Save the charter flight cost and 6 nights total will get you a long stay discount with &Beyond. And Sabi Sand, IMHO, a slightly better big 5 reserve than the Timbavati. If you are much concerned about budget, hopefully not .

Oh, also, we do like Kruger Park, good fun way to start a safari before going to the private camps. (Fly into JNB, rent car from Avis, drive over to Kruger, at end have Avis agent drive it and you over to safari camp and return car. Details).

regards - tom
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 10:31 AM

My comments:

Chobe Safari Lodge is OUTSIDE the Chobe NP in the town of Kasane. Be sure you are not confused with Chobe Game Lodge which is 3x more expensive but ten miles INSIDE the NP and therefore worth the extra cost. There are 800 beds in the various lodges and hotels around Kasane. They will be 95% full in August and all these people will be trying to get into the park each day. There will also be day trippers trying to get in from Livingstone and Vic Falls. August is five months into dry season (think dust bowl).

The two lodges you have booked are in the Kruger ecosystem and relatively close together and therefore too similar (IMO) given the short time you have to travel and your stated objective of maximum wildlife. As the crow flies Arathusa and Chapunga are probably 40 miles apart.

I suggest you go to a third ecosystem instead of two in the Kruger. My suggestion is the Hwange. After three days at Arathusa, overnight in Jo'burg and fly to Vic Falls. Transfer by road to ONE (not both) of the two below competing safari lodges. I checked out Davisons last May and I am taking my wife and teenage daughters back to Davisons this coming July. Expect massive herds of elephants and other wildlife. My business partner got back from Davisons last week and said he saw more animals there than he did at Mombo.
1. http://www.safariadventurecompany.co...avison-s-camp/
2. http://www.africanbushcamps.com/bush.../somalisa-camp

Not to be rude, but it sounds to me like you have booked the cheapest safari instead of a better one that you could get if you increased your budget by about 25-30%. Give your agent a little more money to work with and see what they can do. If your agent suggested the above plan without budgetary restrictions, then I suggest you fire the agent and contact Julian Harrison at Premier Tours in Philadelphia. He is the author of the Fodors travel book for Southern Africa, a friend of mine, and also a fierce competitor of my company. He is also a consolidator for South African Airways so he will have their best rates.
Mr. Julian Harrison – [email protected]
Travel after August 6 and the airfare from Dulles or JFK on SAA will drop about $600 per person. Book air soon as I expect massive fuel surcharges to start piling on any day now with now warning.

Heaven forbid if you got the plan from Premier of my company. Fingers crossed this is not your response.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 11:41 AM

One more comment. I noticed you have a flight from Kruger to Livingstone included. Keep in mind this flight departs from Nelspruit/MQP at 11am. You need to check-in at 0900am since it is an international flight. If you are on safari at Arathusa or Chapunga the night before you are three hours from the airport at least. You will need to leave your lodge at 0600 am to make the flight. You may have to pay for the driver to stay at the lodge the night before in case he/she can't get in the gate in time to collect you. You will miss your final morning game drive and not likely receive any compensation unless you negotiate now.

Also, the flight from Kruger to Livingstone lands in Livingstone, Zambia. The Kingdom is in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe on the other side of the River/border. You are going to pay $80 per person for your Zambia visa just to land and pass through the country. Also, the road transfer from Livingstone/LVI to the Kingdom is more than the road transfer from Victoria Falls/VFA to the Kingdom by quite a bit. That is why I suggested overnight in Jo’burg.

Hope all this helps.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am going to look into them. Air transfers have been included.

Details:
2 passengers from (JNB) to (MQP)
2 nights + 1 Complementary night at Chapungu Lodge
Occupying 1 Luxury Tent - Double on a Full Board & Activities basis
1 transfer from Chapungu to Arathusa Safari Lodge
3 nights at Arathusa Safari Lodge
Occupying 1 Standard - Double on a Full Board & Activities basis
transfer from Arathusa to Kruger Airport
2 passengers Kruger Mpumalanga (MQP) to Livingstone (LVI) transfer from Livingstone Airport to Kingdom Hotel (Road) - Cross boarder
2 nights at The Kingdom at Vic Falls
Occupying 1 Standard - Double on a Bed & Breakfast basis
Sundowner Cruise
Tour of the Falls
transfer from Kingdom Hotel to Chobe Safari (Road)
2 night at Chobe Safari Lodge - Packages
Includes Accommodation in a Safari Double Room 2 Buffet Dinners / 2 Breakfasts / 1 Morning Game Drive / 1 Afternoon Boat Cruise / 1 Park Fee
transfer from Chobe Safari to Vic Falls Airport (Road)
2 passengers on Flight from Victoria Falls (VFA) Johannesburg
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 07:13 PM

I like to know the "major" costs breakdown. That is, say, itemized for anything that costs more than $200. With that I feel I can decide on the time/dollar/value of something. The $10-$20 things don't bother me, it is the $400 air charter flight for a two night stay that might make me wonder.

regards - tom
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

I agree. They haven't yet given me itemized costs. I think we are going to forego the Chobe part of this trip. I may even take away one of the Kruger resorts. Most likely the Chapungu Lodge. The Kingdom hotel looks nice, but, to me, from the website is kind of Disney with all of the pools and man made attractions. The thing I do like about it is, I've heard, the Zimbabwe side is the preferred side of the falls. Do you find that accurate? Here when going to Niagara (which I know does not even compare) the preferred side is the Canadian as opposed to the American side.
As far as Kruger resorts go. We are most interested in game viewing and would prefer to spend our budget on the sites more so than than the accommodations. We would like some small level of luxury, but not over the top. That is why I think Arathusa Safari Lodge is sufficient for us. I would rather spend another day or so someplace than my nights in more luxury. That's just me.
Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 08:00 AM

I prefer not to work with agents who won't itemize costs. If the costs are not itemized, I am unable to make informed decisions about what parts to add or remove.

Tom makes an excellent point about the costs of flights (in general), and charter flights in particular. They can increase your costs hugely. If you are on a budget, as most people are, then the cost of an air charter could be the same as, say, the cost of a private safari vehicle for a day.

I think that you get the best value for your money by limiting the amount intra-African air travel. Victoria Falls is certainly a great thing to see (though maybe not so much in August, when water levels will be lower), but the areas around Kruger aren't exactly chopped liver.

You might consider a trip focused on the Kruger/Timbavati area, dividing your night between lodgings in private reserves and lodgings that are outside of the various parks. When staying at the latter, you could spend some days exploring the area (Google "Panorama Route" for starters), and some days in the game reserves. With the money (and time) that you save from not flying to Vic Falls and Chobe, you can consider upgrading your private reserve lodgings to camps that have fewer people in each vehicle, or even a day or two of a private vehicle.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think that is also a good option. We are not as concerned with better accomodations that Arathusa Safari Lodge. It looks like someplace we would enjoy. One of the reasons we like August is the airfare is cheaper for us right now. Also, Victoria Falls, we are interested in The Devil's Pool. It may still be too early in August for this, but we'd like to try it. I will ask about itemized costs. I agree it a important. Just haven't gotten that far yet.
Thank you.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Ugh, I just don't know. I feel like I am spending so much time trying to figure out all that is available.
I even had an agent send me his link to domestic travel to book myself since to him prices are fluxuating. I haven't noticed too much change since I've been looking. At first I didn't mind and thought it a good idea. After I started trying to figure all the connections and which resorts, I find it to be a lot of work. Then I started to wonder, if I book these, what is there for a travel agent to do? Am I missing something here? Booking the resort is the easy part. Deciding which ones to go to and connecting to them is the hard part.
Ok, sorry, enough of my ranting.
I really would appreciate more input. I know you all can't make the decisions for me, but I do appreciate your suggestions.
I am willing to go with travel connections, though, as suggested above, I need that I don't spend too much time or money on this.
Again, luxury is not my priority. What I am mullling around is:
8-12 days total vacation:
Priority, Game viewing--
Kruger Private reserve- most likely Arathusa Safari Lodge

Add ons---
Blyde River Canyon
Victoria Falls-Livingstone Island-Devil's Pool
Additional Kruger area Game Reserve

Thank you for any help.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 05:14 PM

cristeen - I know how you feel.

OK, you asked. This is what I would do, within your parameters.

Devil's Pool might be best done with the "camp" that runs it. Get in touch with Tongabezi. They will make the arrangements. I'd stay at Tongabezi to guarantee it.

Arrive Jnb - fly commercial flight Vic Falls/Livingstone. Get a transfer to Tongabezi through the camp. See the falls, do Devil's Pool, stay 1 night, 2 nights if you want to do a river cruise or any other adrenaline thing.

Fly back to JNB. Spend one night at an airport hotel. Since you want to do Blyde River Canyon, the easiest and most cost effective way is to rent a car and go. We stayed at Highgrove House. It was expensive, but incredibly nice with excellent food (included in rate of about $300 pp/pn). There are lots of other options that are much more affordable, but I have no info. Stay for a night or two in the area, depending on what you want to do.

http://www.highgrove.co.za/

Either drive to Nelspruit Airport and return the car, arrange for a transfer through the next camp. Or drive to the camp. Sometimes the transfers are expensive, so it might make sense to keep the car even though you don't need it. All depends on you. There are a few affordable camps in Timbavati. We are going to Shindzela in June. Pixelpower wrote excellent reviews of Shindzela and Africa on Foot, you might want to check them out. Spend three nights or more.

http://shindzela.co.za/

Since you seem to want Arathusa (was there in June 2009. Loved it, but they do fill the truck to the brim, as they do at Elephant Plains. The other guests were a great group and it was perfect for us), either drive or get a transfer through Arathusa. Spend three nights or more.

http://www.arathusa.co.za/

Drive or get a transfer to Nelspruit or Kruger Airport. Fly/drive JNB, fly home.

That's what I'd do. The Vic Falls part is going to break the budget and most likely require one night layover in JNB. I'd skip that and/or Blyde River Canyon because you only have 8-12 days which I assume includes the 2 days or more of international travel. If you skip Blyde River, just fly in/out Nelspruit on SAA and get transfers through the camps. You (through Arathusa) can also arrange for a charter in/out of Arathusa's airstrip.

You can also use a travel agent. I like to use one in case something goes awry. But not using one in June, as we are doing a self drive and will have no transfer issues.

This is pixelpower's fodor's-famous thread for more affordable Kruger area options:

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...und-kruger.cfm
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM

http://www.tongabezi.com/
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM

cristeen - you're from PA, yes? Have you ever been to Rocky Mountains, or southwest USA, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico? If so, the Blyde River Canyon area while pretty is no comparison with the scenery in Colorado mountains or southwest USA. We did Blyde River Canyon area because it fit nicely with our plan to fly into JNB and "settle down" before going into Kruger and other camps.

regards - tom
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

christabir-Thank you so much! This is a lot of great information. I've been pouring over so much since I last posted.
You know, I did find that I can stay at &Beyond's Ngala with their special rate for less than what it would cost me to stay for the 4 nights at Arathusa or Elephant Plains with a transfer from the local airport to the reserve.
I know the Vic Falls adds a lot due to the flights. I feel like I want to add something to the Kruger stay without it being a city visit or tour. Good news is I have enough in points for a free night in Johannesburg at least. Hey, it's something, right?
Now I'm thinking I may try
Blyde Canyon 1 1/2 - 2 days and 1 night
Ngala 4 nights
Vic. Falls 2 nights
Fly back to JNB

I am going to check out that Tongabezi that you have suggested. I know it seems like a lot to add Victoria Falls, but I'll be a lot closer at Kruger than I will be in Philadelphia. May as well try. Right?
BTW--Have you heard anything about this group?
http://www.afrizim.com/Activities/Li...ne/Picnics.asp
Thank you so much for you help.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Have a great time in June! I'll look for your trip report.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Tom-Yes. I am in Pa. Unfortunately, I haven't even been to the Grand Canyon yet. Can you believe it?
The pictures of Blyde Canyon look beautiful. It is not a must. I just kind of feel like I would like to do something a little more, but not over the top than 4 nights at a Kruger game reserve. I don't mean to make it sound like "only". It is not. It is the primary focus of our entire vacation. I would just like to add on. I am open to any other ideas. I just want to keep the budget intact.
Thanks!
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM

Sorry but I can't recommend &Beyond Ngala Safari Lodge. (Ngala Tented is fine). I was at Ngala Lodge for 8 nights (yes 8) in Sep of 2008. Ngala Lodge is on a funny little splinter of property that causes every game drive to transverse way south to near Ngala Tented camp. A big waste of time and energy. Go to any other camp in the Timbavati reserve. My fav being Kings Camp, stay 5 nights pay for 4.
http://www.kingscamp.com/

regards - tom
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 08:25 PM

tom and I have both been to Ngala Lodge. I won't speak for him, but it's not my favorite and can't recommend.

Go to Vic Falls first. The safari is the highlight - I like to do it last! And because it's the highlight, skip either Vic Falls or BRC. Really - we have slept in the bush 18 nights. In June, another 18 out of 21 nights and planning another safari already (but in Brazil this time). I'm an amateur compared to many here. More is better. 4 will be a huge disappointment.

It's not just the flights. The whole Vic Falls "add on" will be expensive. But like you say, you're close! It's going to blow the budget. Big time. Look at pixelpower's thread for more options near Kruger.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

thank goodness for you both, Tom & christabir! I was just getting ready to respond again to my TA and ask about Ngala Lodge. Thank you for your advice.
He is still suggesting Elephant Plains. I am very concerned about the packed to the rim vehicles. I will look at Kings Camp, but I think it will put me over our budget.
There is so much to choose. I have to keep reminding myself that I don't know what I don't know, but I do know that just being in SA no matter where is the highlight. Thank you so much!
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

christabir, I agree with doing the safari last. For some reason the flights are more expensive, though. It was one place to cut costs.
Tom-I had Kings confused with Kirkmans. One of the things I like about the &beyond camps, they have the 4th night free and they include transfers from airport. That is a big expense.
What you you all think of Kirkmans?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -