Notices

South Africa and Namibia in Jan/Feb

Oct 13th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

South Africa and Namibia in Jan/Feb

Am I crazy to go then? My sister in law's family is from Durban and she wants to get there at the end of Jan to mid February. How hot is it really? And will it be super uncomfortable sleeping at night at a camp in that heat? When is the best time to go and is it worth it to do both countries in a two week time period? Thanks for your help!
Oct 13th, 2006, 11:39 AM
sandi

Surprise. Many of the camps actually have air conditioning, so inquire of the places you wish to stay.

Oct 16th, 2006, 12:31 AM

Re Durban itself (and the KZN coast): I'm an ex-Durbanite myself, and the phrase one continually hears there is "it's not the heat, it's the humidity". And that period is the height of that weather.

Locals probably get used to it more than visitors, and of course different people have different levels of tolerance. An English girlfriend I had when I was in my 20's just couldn't handle it. Aircon helps of course, and this comment doesn't apply to the remainder of the country.
Oct 16th, 2006, 01:13 AM

There is more than enough to keep you busy in SA for 2 weeks and Namibia could take 2 weeks on its own. I would suggest 2 weeks in SA. Use air-conditioned lodges and the heat should not be a problem.

Search this Thread