South Africa accommodation still really great value!

Apr 28th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

South Africa accommodation still really great value!

Having finally completed my arrangements for the upcoming 5 weeks in South Africa I've been able to total the costs and am really delighted with accommodation costs.

We'll be in South Africa for 34 nights.

For car hire we're paying a hefty £1,368.67 UK. For the first 17 days that gets us a Megane or equivalent, manual transmission, A/C etc plus an extra driver, one way drop off fee and a daily supplement for increasing standard CDW and Theft/Damage cover to super (which reduces the crazy excess amounts). For the second 17 days we're in a larger Toyota Condor with same deal. Both unlimited mileage.

But our accommodation total is only £1,430.88 for 32 nights (plus the much higher cost of Ndumo Wildneress Camp which has been booked and paid alongside the 3 weeks in Botswana and Namibia). That averages out to only £45 per night. For many nights that's for bed and breakfast accommodation in some absolutely lovely bed and breakfast establishments. For other nights that's self catering only in national game reserve accommodation but does also include the hefty (but completely appropriate) daily conservancy fees for the parks.

Given that I certainly could have driven that total lower by selecting less attractive bed and breakfasts (still offering comfortable ensuite accommodation) or private rooms in hostels (with shared facilities) I think this really proves how excellent the value of South African accommodation remains, even when many "travel experts" (not on this board) are bemoaning the increases in prices and screaming that no bargains remain.

I'm sure that prices were once even lower for overseas visitors but they still remain an excellent incentive to visit!

Apr 28th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Kavey,

That is a great value. Seems like you will be paying as much for 32 nights of South African lodging and car hire as you will for 3 nights? of Little Mombo!

I think it is great that you are spending so much time in South Africa, and would love to follow in your footsteps one day.

Thanks for sharing.
Apr 28th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Yes absolutely, Rocco!
Having saved for a long time for the Bots and Namib itinerary we really wanted to keep costs down for the SA trip (hence why the cost of car hire has had me in such a pissy mood) but I hadn't realised I'd managed to keep it down so well, especially given that prices in some of the national parks were a little higher than I expected...

Apr 28th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Kavey, have you ever done your own self-drive safari like you will do in Kruger. I've done two self-drives, the first in Kruger and then in Etosha. It is GREAT!! You'll have an incredible time looking for yourself instead of relying on guides, and you'll be amazed at how acute you become at spotting animals.

There's also a great sense of cooperation and cars slow down to tell you that there is a leopard, rhino, lion, etc. up ahead.

Its a totally different experience than the the safari where you have a guide and driver.

Are you going to Kruger? If so, don't miss the drive on the S-100 -- we saw so much game along that road and its right near the new Singita lodge.
Apr 28th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Michael, no we haven't which is one of the reasons I'm really excited (one of a whole long list of reasons actually).

Our itinerary takes in Umfolozi, Mpila, St Lucia Wetlands, Ndumo, Ithala and Kruger (1 night Berg en Dal and 3 Olifants). With the exception of Ndumo it's all self drive though we'll book onto occasional guided drives, particularly a couple of night ones.

Thanks for the tip about the S100!
Apr 28th, 2004, 02:32 PM

Great trip. I stayed at Skukuza and Satara when we visited Kruger, and the S-100 runs right near Satara (we did the loop and had one of the best leopard sightings ever, plus lots of elephants, kudu, lion, giraffe, wildebeast, zebra, etc. just on that one loop).

Definitely buy the Kruger road map when you get there and have fun driving. Of course, I was there four years ago and in a different month, so who knows how the S-100 is, but it was recommended by someone who frequently goes to Kruger and it didn't disappoint.

There are maps in the lodges that have pins (blue for elephant, yellow for lion, green for wild dog, etc.) so you'll have an idea where the busy areas are near your lodges.

Kruger is such a different experience from the private reserves, and its so affordable with even more animals. Its really a remarkable place and its so easy to visit in a 2WD car.

The major tarmac roads weren't great for game viewing, plus large buses drive those roads, so we were much better off on the side dirt roads, and also had lots of success near the waterholes. Sometimes, its just fun to sit at a waterhole and wait -- its so peaceful and your patience will likely be rewarded. We arrived at a waterhole near Skukuza and parked, and about 5 minutes after everyone else left, we watched a male lion chase a kudu (unsuccessful), but the male lion spent a lot of time near our car (great photos).

My only disappointment in Kruger was that we didn't see wild dogs, but they are there.

Also, sign up for one of the night drives if your camps offer them -- they go out in larger vehicles, but we saw lots of animals at night.

Have a great time.

Michael
Apr 28th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Have already signed up for a night drive and am looking forward to it. Would love to see the wild dogs (saw some in LM in 2001) but won't hold my breath.
We too like to sit and wait and watch rather than be constantly on the move. Thanks so much for your tips.
Apr 28th, 2004, 09:35 PM

Kavey, you have really done your homework and look how it has paid off! This is going to be an incredible trip. I can't wait for you to go so you can tell us about all these places.
Apr 29th, 2004, 06:20 PM

I'm looking forward to great pictures and wonderful stories! (and for that matter....SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!!! yikes!)

Search this Thread