Zuleika Country House and Blyde River Canyon Lodge

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zuleika Country House and Blyde River Canyon Lodge

Has anyone stayed at any of the above B&B lodges on the Panoramic Route in the Hoedspruit area, appreciate any feedback. I am looking for something suitable for family with 2 children and with good access to sights and activities etc.

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 01:30 AM

I have not stayed at either and having had a peek on the website and I would look at the following especially with children, a couple of suggestions:
Casa do Sol
Gecko Lodge
Hog Hollow

These three are on the Pamorama Route and have easy access to all the attractions and are really comfy and nice.

Specifically in the Hoedspruit area (although not sure why you would want to stay in that area specifically as there is nothing to really see there) - Zuleika does look nice, you may also want to look at The Blue Cottages, they are really lovely.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 05:58 AM

Last Sep 2007 we stayed two nights at Zuleika Country House. Drove up after renting a car at Joburg. (Dullstrom is a good town to have lunch on the way). Zuleika was very nice and comfortable with a helpful staff. While in the Hoedspruit area we did the Thsukudu Lodge bush/lion walk, recommended. The Blyde River Canyon boat tour, recommended. And the Cheetah Project/Wild Life reserve, only somewhat recommended. Hoedspruit is a nice little town, with airport, and with all the services you would need.

After Zuleika Country House, Hoedspruit, we drove into Kruger. Four nights at camp Letaba. Back out and turned in the Avis car at Hoedpsruit Avis office. Then into Timbavati for Kings Camp. All worked out very smoothly and nicely.

regards - tom
ps - I did a trip report on this safari
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Doogle and Tom for that information, much appreciated.

Casa do Sol looks pretty nice and interesting, but is near to Hazyview. Reason I chose Hoedspruit environs is because I exit Kruger from Phalborwa gate so thught this a reasonable distance, and also good access to the cheetah project, the silk farm, and various other sites in the Blyde River Canyon. I have 3 nights in between Kruger NP and Cape Town so thought I will spend 2 nights nearer to Hoedspruit and one night perhaps in either Sabie, Graskop or Hazyview. My flight to Cape Town is from KMIA.

Old Dec 15th, 2011, 05:30 AM

Zuleika is really wonderful. The garden is absolutely stunning and you are close to quite a few of the Lowveld attractions. I really like Moholoholo, the boat trip on the Blyde Dam and doing the Panorama route from there is a good idea. You can also drive to Kruger's Orpen Gate in 45 minutes.
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 11:37 PM

I looked at both of these for a trip next August, tending towards Blyde River Canyon Lodge due to the surrounding scenery and what I thought was less 'contrived' decor - a personal choice. However, in the end I booked Forest Camp at Moholoholo so that we could visit the rehab centre before entering Kruger.

I'm sure that my mother will enjoy the rehab centre and admission is included in the room rate. More info here, http://www.moholoholo.co.za/

Happy planning,

Pol