South africa

Sep 27th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Nancy

South africa

Can you tell me if it is good weather in S.A (capetown) in January? Recommend any specific beaches/diving sites? What about reasonably price safaris?

Sep 28th, 2002, 12:17 PM
sue

You cannot go on safari around Cape Town.
All the CT beaches are great some sandy and some shelly - read in any travel guide.
The weather in CT is the best in January and February. You may have some wind.
Don't know about dives but I do know there are great whites in the ocean, which btw is cold!

Sep 29th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Sorry Sue but much of what you say is NOT true.

One CAN go on safari in Cape Town. Have you ever heard of a venue called Clara Anna Fontein?? The places is 20Km outside Cape Town and definitely has a mini safari that one could do at an excellent price. Furthermore if anybody is prepared to travel 300 Km one could go to Botlierskop near Mossel Bay for a pretty good and excellently priced safari too. As a professuional tourguide/operator I have sent many folk there when they have visited Cape Town.

Sue I would agreee with you with regard to your views on the weather in Jan or Feb in Cape Town as it is great.

Shark diving and cold water! ????? All sharkdiving takes place in False Bay and the average temperature in the bay is about 22C (76F). I am one of those folk who has swum from Robben Island to Cape Town and have been involved in numerous attempts to swim across False Bay (only one person has ever managed this swim.) I know the bay and most of Cape Town's waters like the back of my hand and as per international long distance swimming conditions 22C is definitely NOT regarded as cold.

Nancy, to do a shark dive one needs to travel to Gansbaai where you could link up with a registered operator who would take you on a dive.

To obtain more info on shark diving at Gansdbaai go to http://www.tremeg.com/index_shark_diving.html On this site you find a very unbiased view of the sport.

Hope this all helps.

Search this Thread