Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Sound and Light Shows (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/sound-and-light-shows-914011/)

janelp Dec 4th, 2011 06:39 PM

Sound and Light Shows

Does any one have a recommendation for a sound and light show from these choices (we are already going to the one at Abu Simbel): Karnak, Isis Temple on Philea, The Pyramids and the Sphinx? I think probably Karnak but am not sure.

Also, has anyone gone to one of the Nubian Villages in Aswan? There are so many things available that it is difficult to know which to spend money on.

Thanks for input.

qwovadis Dec 5th, 2011 01:13 AM

KARNAK vibe was best for me youtube.comhas several vids

take your pick "nubian" villages too touristic for me.

Happy Planning,

Casual_Cairo Dec 5th, 2011 01:44 AM

I MUCH prefer Giza to Karnak, but only because you can sit and enjoy them through the whole thing. There is even a concession that will sell you a beer or a glass of wine to enjoy while you watch it at Giza. If it is boring to you, the beer or wine makes it lots less painful. :D

In Karnak - MY experience was that you are there with 1 or 2 hundred of your new best friends, all stumbling through the grounds in the dark. They march you from point A to B to C to D, and start the audio sound trak as you stumble aruond and juggle for viewing space to see what the heck they are talking about. By the time you get your place figured out, it is over and on to the next point. I hated that.
I have to say though that there were some people here recently that said that was NOT their experience at all. They said there were so few people at the show that it was easy to get to the next point and find a place to stand where you could see everything. With that in mind, perhaps Karnak would be OK.

Nubian villages are extremely touristy. They are there to accommodate tourists. They are not too much like the real thing, but then not all tourists would want to see the real thing. They will have over priced souvenirs, bottled water, soda, and that sort of thing available. If you do buy something though, you can be sure you significantly helped some family..and that is a great thing....especially these days.

janelp Dec 5th, 2011 02:15 PM

Thanks again for your advice, Casual Cairo. I had read what you had written a couple years ago and wondered if it were still the same way at Karnak. Did he take you up on your offer to visit again for a new perspective?

Casual_Cairo Dec 5th, 2011 07:18 PM

Did who take me up on my offer? What offer? I'm confused? It's around 6 a.m. and I haven't had enough coffee. Help me please.:?

sandi Dec 6th, 2011 08:10 AM

We did Karnak and unlike Giza as Debbie indicates, it is a 'walking' experience. Ground can be uneven at places, so having a small torch is a good idea (I always do when traveling)... but it was so fun.

Axel2DP Jan 5th, 2012 12:51 PM

This reply is kind of late, but I haven't been on here lately :)

If you're doing a self-guided tour of the Nubian Village then beware of anyone wearing a white robe approaching you, introduces himself as the village chief and then offer to show you around. It's all harmless enough but know that (1)there's no such thing as a village chief and (2) it's a ploy to get bahkeesh from you at the end of the "tour". In fact if you come back to the same village hours later, you might run into another man in white who will introduce himself as the village chief ;)

Casual_Cairo Jan 5th, 2012 11:31 PM

Good point to make Axel2DP. You have to know they are not stupid when it comes to working the tourists from every angle. The "Nubian Village" is as commercial as anything else can be. The only difference is they probably aren't organized enough to know when one "village chief" is on duty and the others should not be there...or maybe they are all sitting in a back room, waiting for individual tourists to show up, and then they come out of nowhere to introduce themselves. As soon as one man has his tourists, next "village chief" is in line waiting for the next boat to land. Ha Ha Ha.

Or maybe it's as organized as Disneyland and they are all underground in a room watching the tourists arrive on closed circuit TV and when a group arrives, one appears from behind a bush as if he'd been there all along. Ha Ha Ha You never know.

janelp Jan 6th, 2012 04:41 PM

We ended up doing the S&L shows at Giza and Abu Simbel which was outstanding. We went to the Pyramid show the first night which was a good beginning. Did not go to the Nubian Village. Did stay at the Nubian Eskaleh Lodge in Abu Simbel which we really enjoyed and recommend. Had a great trip.

Casual_Cairo Jan 6th, 2012 09:01 PM

I loved the Abu Simbel S&L show when I got to see it. Hope you enjoyed it too. It's just not an easy one for most tourists to manage to see, but it's a goodie if you can spend the night there or take a cruise which affords you the opportunity.