Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Sound and Light Show Egypt (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/sound-and-light-show-egypt-487244/)

surich Nov 22nd, 2004 08:03 AM

Sound and Light Show Egypt

Touring Egypt.
The sound and light show is an optional excursion. Quite pricey. Is it worth it.

Mincepie Nov 22nd, 2004 09:33 AM

we went to the one in Luxor and definitley not worth it!

skidoo_chick Nov 22nd, 2004 10:16 AM

I went to the Giza one in March and while it was pretty cheesy, it was neat to see the pyramids & sphinx lit up at night. And you learn a bit more about the history. So overall, I would say it was worth it. However, if the price is a concern, you could always take a cab there and buy the tickets yourself (we were told this costs about half the price of doing the excursion with a tour company) or even just take a cab to the area so you can see the pyramids & sphinx at night without seeing the show. Have a great time!

Where2Travel Nov 22nd, 2004 10:34 AM

You do know what there are different sound and light shows - The Pyramids at Giza, Karnak Temple at Luxor and Abu Simbel.

I went in September to the Giza Sound and Light show and was not very impressed with the show at all.

I decided to travel there on my own. I think the entry ticket was 60 Egyptian Pounds. I actually travelled there by getting the Metro from central Cairo to Giza and then getting a taxi from Giza Metro station to the Sound and Light show. The Metro is very inexpensive and I think the taxi was 7 Egyptian Pounds. I did the same in reverse going back. Total cost was therefore about 75 Egyptian Pounds.

Slightly more expensive but probably still a lot cheaper than a tour group offers would be to get a taxi there and back. For some reason, I just enjoyed travelling on the Metro and buses so chose that option.

oforparis Nov 23rd, 2004 08:43 AM

I would definately not go to the one at Karnak, they should pay you to go to that boring horror.
We all enjoyed the one at Giza.

JackieSun Dec 3rd, 2004 07:44 PM

We attended the show in Cairo - would definately not recommend. Quite a disappointment.

Ag3046 Dec 5th, 2004 07:33 AM

I guess I'm the only one that liked the S&L show in Giza. I liked the cheeziness of it, especially when the one that I saw was in Japanese. I loved it because I think the Pharaohs would have adored it for it's gaudy multitechnicolor booming sound effect. Since the pyramids are closed at night, it is one way to get to experience some of the mystery of the place at night.

DejaDeb Dec 7th, 2004 01:41 AM

We went to the light show at the Giza pyramids with a large group. It was okay, but I don't think we would have enjoyed it had we been by ourselves. (It IS just a little cheesy.) We also went to the light show at Abu Simbul, this time by ourselves, and we really enjoyed that one. The down side is that no planes leave at night, so you have to spend the night in Abu Simbul - and there's not much there beyond the "his and her" temples.

sunil_sivadas Dec 14th, 2004 06:00 AM

Just returned from a week long trip to Egypt. Saw the S&L show in Philae temple, Aswan. Definitely recommend it. You have to take a motorboat to the Island, the ride is about 10 minutes long. That itself was an experience, to see the temple lit up from the boat under stary sky. The show is very well designed. You have to walk through the temple during the show for the first half an hour and sit in front of the Trojan's kiosk for the last half an hour. Bring a light jacket or sweater, it was cold.

travelgirl_67 Dec 15th, 2004 10:32 AM

Just recently saw the one in Luxor. It was okay...though it was quite pricey. I did enjoy the additional info from the show and it is quite nice seeing the temples lit up at night. As this was my first trip to Egypt, I'm glad I did it but would more than likely not do it again the next time. I just returned from 2 weeks in Egypt and am working on a trip report to post in the next week. Had a great time and highly recommend an Egyptian holiday!