Sossusvlei Wilderness Camp and Ballooning

Mar 12th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Sossusvlei Wilderness Camp and Ballooning

I may be staying at Sossusvlei Wilderness Camp this September and wondered if anyone has stayed there and been able to do the ballooning over the dunes. The camp's website implied that ballooning could be setup for additional cost, but I just wanted to hear from someone who has actually done it from there, to find out how it worked out for them.
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM
DJE

travel,

We stayed at Soss. Wilderness Camp in '03 and really enjoyed our time there. The location up on the hillside offered great views of the surrounding area. The units were very comfortable and it was great to sit out on the deck and enjoy the scenery or watch the changing colors of the terrain as the sun set. The food was good and plentiful and served buffet style as in most camps.

Also take in the trip to Dead Vlei as it's quite an incredible area to see and an environmentally sensitive spot.

My spouse did the hot air balloon ride and it was well worth the extra cost. I recall a very early morning departure from camp to reach the area where the balloon ride starts. We took video of the trip and the shots taken from the balloon are quite spectacular as the sun rises over the dunes. The trip took well over an hr. of actual air time and finished off with a champagne breakfast before heading back to camp. It's a very smooth ride which had I known, I would have gone along as well. I thought it might be rather bumpy and I was concerned about this as I don't do well with motion.

I'm sure you will enjoy your time at this location if you do stay there.
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:41 AM

We stayed at this camp and did the ballooning, too. The camp is just as DJE described and we truly enjoyed it. The ballooning was terrific, but it did not go over the dunes. I suggest you check this with the balloon company as it might have changed since we were there, but I think that is unlikely. However, we did really enjoy the ride and the views, especially since the baskets were limited to 4 passengers.

Search this Thread