Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Sonali - for you! A map of lion prides in the Serengeti!

Sonali - for you! A map of lion prides in the Serengeti!

Feb 18th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Sonali - for you! A map of lion prides in the Serengeti!

You asked about lions in an earlier thread. So I took some lion research data and plotted it on my Serengeti map.

It basically shows the distribution of lion prides in the central Serengeti! While it is a few years old, it certainly confirms my experiences in December while camping at Seronera River Camp, and game driving. We heard the Campsite Pride loud and clear one night!

Go here:
http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/serengeti.htm

In the MAPS section, look for the lion map and click to enlarge!

Enjoy!
Eben (the research credits are on the image)
Feb 18th, 2006, 10:55 PM

Eben, U are too good to be true!!!!, thanks, now come on Eben tell me who should I place myself with in mid april in serengeti for best lion viewing(SAyari, nomad or CCA) and after staying with them for 4 nights which other camp/camps/lodges would u suggest for 3-4 nights in central or any other area of serengeti.
Also is it possible to meet up with the researchers at lion research centre. I have read various articles on the over hunting of lions in loliondo and also at times of them breaking rules and hunting in serengeti (the bloody oil-rich shieks of saudi arabia)
and am worried about the population of lions and would like to give some help for saving the cats,
thanks once again,Sonali.
Feb 19th, 2006, 09:03 PM

ttt
Hi folks, anybody has any bright ideas regarding the above post
Sonali
Feb 19th, 2006, 09:43 PM
santharamhari

Hi! Keep me posted........would love to chip in and help out........

Feb 20th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sonali

It is quite simple! Since the migration is so unpredictable I suggest you focus on the central Serengeti.

Then add visits to other areas depending on time and availability.

In April, stay at least 2 or 3 nights at Seronera (the Sopa has the best location in April), then 2 nights at Ndutu.

If you have more time you to can go to the Piaya area in Loliondo area via Nasera Rock as some wildebeest move up there in "normal" years.

Your driving may be restricted due to mud. Moru Kopjes, the minor roads at Seronera and to/from Ndutu may be hard to navigate. You have to add extra travel time in April/May to allow for getting stuck! Just driving throuch the NCA can be challenging (the roads near the crater rim)

Feb 20th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Thanks Eben, If the roads get muddy, will it not affect game viewing!!!! like some areas will become in accesible. You think it is a wise decision to go in April, since I am definately going to mara this september and could add a couple of days northern serengeti(how should that be in august end/sept beginning) and central serengeti. And going in April at these luxury camps the price is not too different for april vs feb or the dry season, like maybe 100$ pppn more, would it not be sensible to spend the same amount in high season when the game viewing is almost more garaunteed
than April where u have to deal with the rains and muddy roads...., please advise.... Sonali.
Feb 20th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Sonali

In September, I would stay in the Mara. There is no need to include the Serengeti.

As for April, some roads may be bad but with a good vehicle you can still move around. The rains are not constant. With fewer other tourists your game viewing will actually be better. The secret is to avoid a tight schedule - some days you may want to stay in one place due to rain. The next day you can drive farther when it is dry and so on.

The camps cannot reduce their rates much because their costs are actually higher - fewer sold bed-nights, tougher drives in the mud for supply vehicles and more breakdowns as a result.
Feb 20th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Alright now is the million dollar question!!! I am planning a trip in 2007 to tanzania with a couple of friends, mostly feb or the dry season (pls help with this) and want to include katavi, ruaha, selous, etc... do pratically whole of tanzania. Which season/month would give the best game viewing in both serengeti and southern
tanzania together!!! Would it be better to go some other country(africa) in april and plan a grand trip in 2007 for the whole of tanzania.Also in mara which camp/lodge would u suggest for 6-7 nights for high quality guidance and tracking of wildlife in sept, we are thinking of governor's, mara explorer and interprids, any suggestions,thanks, Sonali.

Search this Thread