Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Someone please tell me how the flights are from Joburg to Skukuza...

Someone please tell me how the flights are from Joburg to Skukuza...

Jan 24th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Rocco

Someone please tell me how the flights are from Joburg to Skukuza...

My wife is worried about flying on a smaller airplane into Skukuza. I don't have any flight info for Skukuza...my itenerary only states "flight by light aircraft" and I can understand how my wife who is scared of flying is somewhat distressed over the description.
How is the airport in Skukuza and how are the planes that fly into Skukuza (Kruger National Game Reserve)??? Thanks.

Jan 24th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Kim

Skukuza airport is very cute. all the land rovers are lined up waiting for the various lodges that are near. The plane is actually about a 30 person plane. No worries. In Botswana they are more of the 4 seat variety but still fun.

Jan 25th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Lisa

They are regularly scheduled flights on SAA or SAA Express. I think they may even be 48 seaters turboprops. Seating is 2 and 2 on either side of the aisle and there are probably 12 rows, so that seems right. It is the same kind of plane that Usair express or Delta express would use on shorter flights in the States. (maybe a Fokker?)

The flight is about an hour or slightly less and you even get a full meal or a decent snack(although I am sure that is the least of her concerns).

The airport at Skukuza is obviously small but well run and professional.

I have flown to Skukuza a number of times and find it fine. SAA has an excellent safety record.

Transfers depend on where you are staying. Most camps which are close by will pick you up by landrover. A camp somwhat further may use a "light aircraft" to transfer you. When we went to Londolozi, they used a 12 seater.

If you are staying in Kruger itself and doing selfdrive there are 2 car rental agencies in the airport.

Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:39 AM
Jim

What is the cost of a return air fare Joburg to Skukuza?

Sep 9th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Mary

Just took the flight last week. No problem - Plane was a large. Flight was very very easy. Don't be worried!

Search this Thread