Some questiosn about Namibia Swakpomund/Windhoek

Aug 21st, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Some questiosn about Namibia Swakpomund/Windhoek

I have never been to Namibia, I am interested in visiting the sand dune in the south and maybe Swapkomund and Windhoek. How lond should I spend in Swapkomuand and Windhoek. What is there to see in these places? Any advise would be appreciated.
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:10 PM

Windhoek is not a very interesting place (sorry!) so the time you spend around overnights flying in and out is more than sufficient. Not very scenic or quaint. Just a rather boring but clean, safe little town. There is an interesting craft center in town, which is a good place to pick up final souvenirs and gifts. Maybe I missed something
Aug 21st, 2004, 03:14 PM
DJE

I would definitely recommend spending time in the Sossusvlei region as the sand dunes are spectacular to see. Was one of the many highlights of our trip to Southern Africa. I didn't get to Swapkomund so cannot comment but did spend a few days in Windhoek as it was the starting point for our time in the desert. I would agree with tashak that there isn't a whole lot to see or do and it is not the quaint little town that I had expected, considering its german heritage. Spend the bulk of your time elsewhere. Another area which I would like to visit is the Etosha region as I have heard many good things about it. Hopefully we will do this on a return trip.
Aug 22nd, 2004, 04:40 AM

I'm a tour operator in Namibia and I would agree with what Tashak had to say about Windhoek. Usually our clients spend 1 night there when they fly in/out and that's about it. If you arrive relatively early, I would recommend going just outside the city to a lodge in Okahandja, called Okapuka Ranch. Although it's only 30 min outside of the city, you will immediately feel like you're in "Africa", they have lovely thatched bungalows, very good food and you can also do game drives there where they even have rhino & lions.

As for Swakop, we ususally include at least 2 nights there, but 3 if you have time. There are a lot of 'adventure' type sports and tours to do in Swakop and Walvis Bay, including dolphin & seal boat cruises, sea kayaks in the lagoon, quad bikes in the dunes, parachuting, 4x4 trips into the desert and dunes, hot air balloons, beach buggy rides, etc.

Hope that helps...

Search this Thread