Some last questions for a trip to Kenya

Sep 15th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Some last questions for a trip to Kenya

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I will be leaving for Kenya in less than 2 weeks. I'm hoping you can help us with some last questions:
(1) How much money (cash) should we carry for a 10 day safari? I've read that we really should only use small bills but that's a lot to carry on us. Thoughts?
(2) Will we need a lead bag for our film or will they be willing to hand search it?
(3) How much should we tip our driver per day?

Thanks so much for all the helpful information!
Sep 15th, 2003, 10:47 AM
PCHsmiles

Hand search of film - be firm - insist - have it all out of the cannisters and ready to open - make it very easy for the security folks - leave your camera empty. You will see a sign that 800 or under is not affected. But hand search is still preferable.

Sep 15th, 2003, 11:31 AM
LizFrazier

Sorry but things are different now. Too many security checks. They just cannot take the time for hand searches on film anymore that we saw. We went through security checks so many times. I can only say that others told us the new X-rays cloud film. The latest word is all electronic gear gets searched thoroughly. Cameras are highly suspect as detonator devices. That was partly why we got a digital. I didn't see anyone getting any film hand searched. Returning from Kenya we went through so many security searches and X-rays before we even got to the waiting area for the flight. Very, very strict. We sure felt safe. No one got a free pass. I felt safer there than anywhere. You don't do anything to call attention to yourself. Just go along with whatever they want to do. We got through fine. My husband and I carried $1,000.00 US cash between us in waist wallets strapped to our bodies under our clothes. We had to have US cash for Visas at the Airport, US cash for game park fees, US cash to convert to Kenya Schillings for small money and tips. Then we carried one credit card to use where we could for dayroom, dinner upon leaving, etc. We didn't bring any money home. Well, under $100.00. We took lots of ones. Lots. Good for tips for carrying bags, etc.
Check www.e-gnu.com for a guide to tipping. I posted about this on my return from Kenya thread. Its close to the top since we just got back ourselves. Liz

Sep 15th, 2003, 11:38 AM
sandi

butters -

Do a search for "tipping" - there are responses for a fellow traveler who is heading off to So.Africa. This should give you an idea.

As to cash - separate the bills between you and your husband - a money belt to wear inside pants, pants pocket or under your shirt is a good idea. Surprisingly 100 $1 don't take up that much room. Then $5s and $10s - use $20s in total payment for tipping driver/guide at end of trip.

I've always used a lead film bag and carry this along with camera in my carryon. Only once was I ever asked to open the bag and/or show my camera (before 9/11) - never since 9/11, but you should have it available for hand inspection if requested to do so.

Do not forget extra batteries for your cameras and do have more than one camera between the two of you. A few disposable are also a good idea, just in case.

Enjoy your trip.

Search this Thread