Some good advice

Nov 24th, 2002, 03:21 AM
Karen

Some good advice

I put a similar item up earlier but it was removed. It is NOT intended to be self promotion but rather good advice if you are coming to South Africa. More so now with the Cricket games and Christmas. Regardless of who you use or even if you do it all yourself - Book Early if you want to get decent accommodation. Here's what I said earlierBR>I am a travel agent in South Africa. This week I have had to tell a few people they could not get what they wanted - accommodation and Game Reserves - due to them being booked to capacity especially around the Christmas Holidays. This country has the fastest growing tourist industry in the world right now, it is summer here right now, the money market at the moment makes this a very desirable place to vacation right now and finally, this country has not had any terrorist threats. Consequesntly, most of the really good venues are very very busy. Many are already booked until after Christmas - but not all -
so if you plan to come to South Africa for a holiday, BOOK EARLY. South Africa would love to be your host for a holiday probably as much as you might want to come. So don't shoot yourself in the foot. Book early.
Very Sincerely

Karen

Nov 24th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Selwyn Davidowitz

I have no idea why Karen's mail would have be squashed by Fodors editors because the advice that she is passing out is so very important. I have seen 4 families have their vacations horrifically ruined in the past 3 weeks for one reason only and that was NOT planning or booking ahead timeously. Cape Town in particular is impossible to want to find accommodation for the next 6 weeks and contrary, yet supporting what Karen has said I would advise that one should seriously consider visiting SA at another stage as oppose to now if you are only starting your planning to come to SA in next couple of weeks. In simple words its virtually too late. Furthermore the February – March 2003 period is going to be busier (if this is even possible) purely because of the World Cup cricket.

If you want to visit SA in the future may I suggest that you work on at least a 4 month forward planning period and most important DONT leave things to chance that you will simply walk in and find accommodation in the major cities because this facility seems to be diminishing by the day. The reasons for this happening have already been mentioned in Karen's mail

Once again if Fodors removed Karen’s original mail (I assume it was an identical one to the one I am answering to) then I believe it was a wrong move as this advice that she has passed out is VERY IMPORTANT for SA right now.

Somehow I feel it was an accidental erring on the Fodors editors behalf. Who knows maybe the editors were confusing SA with the Seychelles and the crazy Italian lover. ) )

Selwyn Davidowitz

Nov 24th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Lisa

Thanks for the "Heads Up", Karen and Selwyn.What are the dates of the Cricket? I have been into their website and all they give are, the days and dates without saying what month, eg. Sat 15. Unfortunately, both Feb and March have the same dates falling on the same days. Seeing that I live in a part of the world where cricket is a noisy insect, this is the first mention I had relating to the world cup.

I have just found out about we have a family function in March in SA that I was hoping to attend and thinking that it is "out of season" was planning on leaving things to the last minute to book everything. ( One of the parties in question changed her mind once before and I was lucky to be able to cancel my ticket, so I did not want to get caught in the same predicament twice!)

Last time we were in SA was over the World Congress and now this. I am very happy that SA is getting so much attention and tourism but it sure throws a spanner in my personal travel plans!
Again, thanks for the very valuable post.
Waverley

Nov 24th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hi Lisa,

The World Cup opening is in Cape Town on February 8 (Cape Town)and the final game is on March 23. (Johannesburg)

To find out more as to where the games are being played go to http://www.cricketworldcup.com/home_fixtures.html Go to the fixtures list. This is quite important because the last games in come cities are in early March such as in Cape Town where the opening ceremony will take place but where the last game in the city will be played on March 7.

Hope this does not spoil your family get together.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Search this Thread