Somalisa Camp - Hwange NP - Zimbabwe

Mar 27th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Somalisa Camp - Hwange NP - Zimbabwe

WOW! I have just been e-mailed photos of the newly constructed Somalisa Camp in Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe. This camp far exceeds what I was expecting.

While I had been considering skipping Zimbabwe, after seeing this, I may just need to add Zimbabwe onto the front end of my safari and save the Sabi Sand for another time, although I do think I still want to end with Madikwe to make sure I finally see wild dogs.

Although Somalisa is a tented camp, the tents are oversized and feature hardwood floors inside and out, beautiful queen sized sleighbeds (although I am sure some rooms will feature twin beds), as well as nightstands with lamps on each side, a desk and a couple chairs. Also, the main areas of the lodge are really beautiful, with a lot of wood featured everywhere.

If I were to keep Zimbabwe, I would be looking at the following itinerary:

Vundu Camp, Mana Pools (3)
Somalisa Camp, Hwange (3)
Ntwala Island Camp, Caprivi Strip (2)
Susuwe Island Camp, Caprivi Strip (2)
Kwando Lagoon, Kwando Reserve (2)
Kwando Lebala, Kwando Reserve (2)
Kwando Kwara Island (1)
Kwando Kwara (3)
Michelangelo, Joburg (1)
Madikwe Hills, Madikwe (2)
Mateya, Madikwe (2)

Alternately, and this may be the best thing to do, would be to add a couple nights at Sandibe, saving Madikwe for another time, and an extra night in Joburg. This would make it as follows:

Michelangelo Hotel, Joburg (1)
Ntwala Island Camp, Caprivi Strip (2)
Susuwe Island Camp, Caprivi Strip (2)
Kwando Lagoon, Kwando Reserve (2)
Kwando Lebala, Kwando Reserve (2)
Kwando Kwara Island (1)
Kwando Kwara (3)
Sandibe (2)
Michelangelo, Joburg (1)

Tough choices to be made. Zimbabwe could be very hot in mid November, but African Bushcamps does look fascinating to me, and the photos of their new camp have really taken me by surprise. If anyone would like a forwarded copy of the photos of Somalisa, drop me an e-mail and I will be happy to forward it.

www.africanbushcamps.com
Mar 27th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

By the way, for all of you lucky souls who have seen wild dogs, do you think, wild dogs, alone, are enough to justify visiting a certain game reserve?

While tempted to visit Madikwe, I do think if I stuck to the Sabi Sands at Earth Lodge and Leopard Hills, that I may enjoy better overall gameviewing?

Another thought is to postpone Namibia, and instead start with Chiawa in Lower Zambezi, proceed to Mana Pools, Hwange, Kwando and finish up with the Sabi Sand.

Chiawa, LZNP (3)
Victoria Falls Hotel (1)
Kwando (8)(2 at each camp)
Michelangelo (1)
Earth Lodge (2)
Leopard Hills (2)

I just love the Zambezi River.

Thanks.
Mar 27th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Yes I do, especially if seeing them is important as I believe it is for you.

Madikwe would also just be an interesting place to see. Haven't been.
Mar 27th, 2006, 07:25 PM
santharamhari

Rocco,

If you are spending that amount of time up in Kwando........you have as good a shot of seeing them!!! if i were you, i would'nt go out of my way to Madikwe.

Either way, your trip is in Nov? I will be there in August, so will keep you posted about the dogs........

Hari

Search this Thread