Solo trip from Spain to Morocco

Jun 27th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Solo trip from Spain to Morocco

I am female traveling alone. I will be taking ferry from Algeciras to Tangier in the morning.

What is the best way from Tangier to Marrakech? How long does it take and how much does it cost?

What is best way from Marrakech to Fez, how long, how much $?

Can I set up loding upon arrival in Morocco? Is there an info booth to help me in Tangier, Marrakech, Fez?

I plan to stay in Marrakech 3 nights and Fez 3 nights? Is this too much/too little time? Does one town need more than the other?

Your help is much appreciated!
Jun 30th, 2003, 03:28 AM

Ali B, I can't answer all your questions but at least I'll get your post to the top...
Check on Lonely Planet (or its Thorn Tree forum)or Virtual Tourist (post a question) for Tangier-Marrakech info. There are lots of Morocco travellers there. Same for Marrakech - Tangier.

Depending on your budget, you might want to consider the Hotel Continental in Tangier. It's much more expensive than cheap medina hotels, but also much cheaper than 4 or 5-star hotels (it may be around 300 dirham for a single???). Plus, you can WALK there from the ferry and it's in the medina, so you're right in the heart of things. Getting off the ferry, through immigration & customs, past the touts and into Tangier can be quite intimidating. Don't answer any questions from the touts (where are you from, where are you going, what do you want to see, etc.) and don't get flustered.

For the other cities, it's a good idea to make a reservation in advance or at least have a list of possibilities and a map or general idea where they are. I did not see any sort of tourist information booth in any of these cities. If you don't have a reservation you may look like easy prey for the touts who want to take you to their "uncle's" hotel, and you will always pay more for a room if someone takes you there (they will get a cut), plus these guys are difficult to shake. On the other hand, if you just show up, it may be full.

I would say that 3 days in Fes and 4 in Marrakech is reasonable. If you want to go to Volubilis (near Meknes), add an extra day to Fes, though 2 full days in Fes might be enough too.

You might want to consider spending the night somewhere between Marrakech and Fes - it's a long trip and there is beautiful country in between; plus everything is very cheap outside of the cities and the hassling (which I don't mind much, really) is much less!

Search this Thread