Solo in Marrakech

Oct 24th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Solo in Marrakech

I am a woman traveling solo to Marrakech, on Dec. 3rd, for six days. I would love to meet other travelers who will be there at the same time, and would like company in exploring the Medina! I will be staying in a riad near the Djemaa el Fna. Look forward to meeting some interesting, fun-loving souls!
Nov 1st, 2005, 06:37 AM

Wish I could join you! Went to Marakech on organised trip earlier this year. It does feel strange in the souks amongst hooded men and veiled women. We were taken round by a local guide and I gather official guides can be hired quite easily from the tourist authorities. Ours was excellent, loads of amusing anecdotes, and though we were taken into shops there was less hassle to buy than when walking around independently. Highlight was a visit to a pharmacy where lots of potions and lotions were demonstrated and a few of our group had a neck massage. We were invited to buy products but it was not at all aggressive. Have a great time.
Nov 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you prncesschristina! I am sure I will have a great time in Marrakech, and will probably hire a guide one day. The trip to the pharmacy sounds interesting...especially the part about the neck massage! Did you also go to Essourira and can you recommend a good place to stay near the ocean? Where is the best place to exchange money in Marrakech...are ATMs available in the Medina?

Search this Thread