Sofitel Sphinx Hotel

Aug 29th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Sofitel Sphinx Hotel

Has anyone stayed at this hotel or know anything about it? I believe it is near the pyramids in Cairo. Considering taking a Trafalgar tour and this is the hotel we would be staying at. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 30th, 2003, 07:16 PM
pdd

Hi skidoo_chick, saw your other post re:Egypt. My wife, my mother and myself are taking Trafalgar's Winter Breaks tour to Egypt, leaving March 12, 2004. If you go with Traf., when were you going.

Don't know much more about the Sofitel Sphinx than I can find on the Internet. Go to Sofitel's website, there's a couple of pictures. It looks like a nice hotel, probably not as well situated as the Mena House (as other posters have commented), but its in Giza so its probably not too far away from the Pyramids.

Went with Trafalgar to Switzerland last year and couldn't have been happier. The hotels were, for the most part, very nice. Posters on Trafalgar's website have raved about their respective Egypt tours.

I think what makes TT cheaper (on this tour) than some other tours is the train ride to Aswan vs. flying from Cairo. Most people groan at the prospect of ridsing on a train in Egypt, but being the type to try anything different I actually found the overnight train concept intrguing. They are private cars, and they'll provide a meal, albeit a meagre one. Ah well, some have said that you don't go to Egypt for the great cuisine!

Hopefully you're going at this time, so we won't be the only people on the tour! No matter what, it'll be a lot of fun!

Patrick Daly
Sep 1st, 2003, 10:33 AM

hi chick,
i know sofitel el maadi and stayed 2 nights in it, it's wonderful. but i don't know about sofitel sphinx ..anyway sofitel is good in general
Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi Patrick,

We're planning on going on the Winter Breaks tour leaving March 12 too! Where are you from? We'll be flying out of Toronto. So far this is our tour of choice since it is much cheaper than the similar 10-day Globus tour and we really liked the itinerary. Will probably book it in the next month or so. Have you booked already?

I've seen some picture of the Sofitel Sphinx on the internet and it does look very nice. I guess if so many people have good things to say about Trafalgar tours, the hotels must all be pretty decent. I posted on the Trafalgar bulletin board to ask if anyone knew about this hotel but so far no one has responded that they have.

Anyways, since we may be on the same tour, maybe we could exchange info as the time gets closer. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Danielle

Search this Thread