Socially Responsible Investment Funds...

Jun 30th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Socially Responsible Investment Funds...

Slightly off topic, but I am wondering if any Fodorites can recommend a good socially responsible mutual fund.

Dissatisfied with the direction that this country is taking, I don't want to contribute a minute more to the status quo and wish to adopt a more globally aware investment portfolio, instead of investing in companies that are likely destroying the environment or the humans who must live in it.

I did notice that National Geographic has an annuity, but after seeing them take little action against Classic Hunting Safaris/Classic Africa, I don't feel especially comfortable with National Geographic (to my knowledge they are proceeding with their group tour using Classic Hunting Safaris/Classic Africa).

Sorry if this is off topic, but anything we can do to help the environment will also contribute to Africa having a slightly longer future than it is slated to have now.

Thanks.
Jun 30th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Well...I couldn't wait!

For anybody interested, in my very limited search, this company seems to be amongst the best and offers a very easy get started plan of only $50 per month so that our "Africa Fund" is not too adversely affected!

http://www.arielmutualfunds.com/
Jun 30th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Rocco,
Thanks for that bit of info. We have also told our planner not to put any of our $$ anywhere that might seem environmentally controversial. I try to stay on top of that.

On a side note, check out (if you haven't already)

www.myacreofafica.com

I think it's a pretty cool thing for S.Africa and Southern African wildlife. I wish the rest of the continent could somehow follow suit.
Jun 30th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Oops,
that would be

www.myacreofafrica.com

Search this Thread