So what is it about African tourists

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what is it about African tourists

Hello,
I recently posted a question in the European Fodors section (never been to that site before) regarding things to do on my long lay over in Amsterdam (9 hrs.)and noticed a real strange trend. Seriously nasty bashing and not done in fun. Luckly, no one has picked on me yet - a little rude maybe, but that's ok. There seems to be a little bit of animosity there - much more so than I've ever seen on the Africa site. As someone stated previously, if anyone disagrees with another on this site it's usually done with some finesse and diplomacy. Yes, there's been a few moments here but most know when to back off when hitting below the belt. It kind of makes it easier here to ask a question or make a statement without worrying about retribusion. Not so on the other site. Am I missing something? Are people who go to Africa a whole different breed of cat (dog) or did I just hit on their site at an untimely point?
Sherry
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 03:54 PM
bat

cybor:
I do not have an answer but I noticed the same thing on the Hawaii threads--I posted a Q recently for a trip to San Fran and dropped in on the Hawaii threads while I was waiting for answers--it became very vicious.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:24 PM

This may be a generalization but I find many Americans who travel to Europe think of themselves as well-traveled. I have met my share of people who seem to look down on travel to Africa as if it would be beneath them to do so. Rather than engage in a debate, I just sum it up to ignorance. Truly, it is their loss.

As most of us on this forum realize, Africa is about the most exclusive place one may visit, especially if done in typical Fodorite style. The fact that we are helping the wildlife by our presence just makes it that much more satisfying.

I do not post much on other forums. Once in awhile I have posted on the Asia forum and on the Latin America forum but I have never encountered hostility on those two forums.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:29 PM

the europe and u.s. boards seem to be very "cliquey" if you're not "one of them" forget about getting any help and most times it's more of a chat room instead of helpful info. Don't know why it's not like that on the Africa forum, must be we all share the passion of Africa travel.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:10 PM

As a former Euro board regular.. I can state from experience... you are absolutely correct cybor! I had my fill of it after 9/11 when so many of the posts were beyond vicious.. hideous and cruel.. Poor Fodors couldn't delete them fast enough. US board seems to have a few "bashers" who lash out any time anyone posts a specific trigger. I don't know if this one person is still there, but there used to be a guy who would say the most horrible things about Cape Cod.. for no good reason other then to make people who either lived there of planned to visit feel like idiots... I live in Los Angeles and there are a number of people who bash my home just on principle! Nope, I have never experienced this on Africa or So. Pacific.. am planning trips to Costa Rica and India... soo will soon be able to report on those boards.. Australia boards are very nice as well.. got some lovely /detailed advice from locals.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 05:11 PM

Above I said "guy" when who knows... but they were pretty mean whoever they were!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:16 PM

These posts are the most absurd I have ever seen. What kind of fools....

Oops, I forgot, we are kinder and gentler over here on the Africa board.

Having posted only occasionally on the other geographic boards, I have not been exposed to the negativity. But I've read posts from others who have complained about it. Can't we all get along at least in cyberspace?

One thing I've noticed on some of the other Fodor boards is there does not seem to be the in depth knowledge found on the Africa section. I've had several questions out there for other areas for months and years with 0 responses. Eventually I'll get to the destination I was seeking information on and just post an answer to my own question.

As for nastiness in the Europe section, I've never even hovered my mouse over the Europe link, much less clicked it. Nothing against that lovely continent, I just never had the urge to chat about it.

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

The funny (odd rather,thing) about alot of the bashers is that they've never made it far beyond the reaches of their own back yards .... or if they have, they've been to some watered down - white breadish kind of place that most of us only arrive at by mistake or neccessity. Next time a basher lets loose about LA, Thyra, do what I do when people state negatives about the Cape (I've got a cottage in Truro) ask the critic if they've ever set foot there. Chances are they haven't. I actually found alot of false info. on some of the other sites.
Sherry
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 09:13 AM

Dear Cybor, you are undoubtedly correct. I spent many wonderful summers at the Cape.. (grandparents in Attleboro)~!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM

Thyra - LA - worst place ever ;-)
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:10 AM

Cybor - besides nasty/rude you also forgot to mention really snobbish. Not all of them of course, but enough to make me cringe. I'm not sure why some of them are so awful. Count me as one European traveler (meaning one who travels to Europe; I'm not European) who does not look down on travel to Africa. I hope to join your ranks one day and so I lurk every now and then to get ideas.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:56 PM

I lurk over here too because I have a fantasy about going to South Africa sometime before I'm dead. But I have to take issue about the hostility since I have encountered it from someone who posted on this very thread when I ventured into the Latin American forum:

Author: Roccco ([email protected])
Date: 10/07/2005, 08:40 pm
Sharon...Don't let the door hit you in the @$$, troll.

So you see, we all have our bad days!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:24 PM

Wow! I mostly join and post on US and European boards since August 2001.

Speaking of hostility, the only really hostile post was here, on this board. Somebody was really rude demanding to eliminate all Israeli posts. I don't know if the thread been deleted or still sitting somewhere 5,000 posts down.

Now, reading this, I consider myself lucky not to encounter meanness the original poster is talking about.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:33 PM

SharonG,

You must have forgotten the preceding conversation:

Do I want to go to Argentina?

Author: SharonG
Date: 10/07/2005, 11:51 am
Okay, this is my first post to the Latin America forum. I have an opportunity to go for free to Buenos Aires. Never had much interest but wondering if I would be a fool not to go. Tell me, is it worth it? If it were Paris or Rome I'd have no problems. And what do I wear there? We're supposed to go in November.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: ahdzp
Date: 10/07/2005, 12:07 pm
You would love it... I was there last March and can't wait to go back... people is so friendly and event that you could see some places have seen better days, is beautiful.

Great food, great wine, leather goods, excellent plays (if you speak spanish), great music... etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: owlwoman
Date: 10/07/2005, 03:01 pm
I felt the same way (about not having much interest in SA) until we went last March, it's a fabulous country. My DH and I are real Europhiles, but after visitng BA and living like a King/Queen for two weeks, we're hooked on Argentina. We've already planned a return trip for this coming March. BA is the Paris of the South for good reason. I can't say enough about the people, the food, etc. You feel like you are in Europe but without the crazy prices! Go, Go, Go!!!! You will love it.

Date: 10/07/2005, 03:30 pm
Wow, now I'm getting excited about it. Thanks for the info.

Author: cmcfong
Date: 10/07/2005, 04:18 pm
Sharon, I haven't been, yet. It is on my target list for 2006, but the postings by avrooster and drdwaggy are great info sources and bound to add to your excitement about the trip. Please post a report when you return.
Buen viaje.

Author: avrooster
Date: 10/07/2005, 05:44 pm
Using your own words, you'd be a fool not to come.

Recently we had threads here and/or in tripadvisor.com about what ladies can wear at that time of the year in our town. Please do your homework and find them.

Ask more specific questions if you wish, but most of your questions should have been answered in previous threads.

Thank you, cmcfong

Author: avrooster
Date: 10/07/2005, 06:18 pm
Even though I feel you should do your homework, I'll make it real easy for you. The thread I mentioned in my previous post about ladies' clothes for November is on tripadvisor.com and it is titled "Weather in November". If you have any sense of humor, you'll have fun reading it.

Date: 10/07/2005, 07:33 pm
Please don't take this wrong, but the advice "do your homework" is very annoying. I actually did do a search on this topic on Fodors and it wasn't that helpful. I guess I was hoping someone would convince me that it was worth the time to do more homework and not really asking for the teacher to scold me.

Author: Roccco ([email protected])
Date: 10/07/2005, 08:27 pm
Sharon,

You have not done your homework until you are able to ask half intelligent questions. Trust me, you are not there yet.

Date: 10/07/2005, 08:30 pm
Gee, I've had such lovely responses on this forum! Goodby.

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:45 PM

But I apologized on a later post!!!

Date: 11/07/2005, 04:41 pm
Okay, I know I caused some commotion earlier with my cavalier attitude toward going to Argentina but I am here to tell you I was wrong wrong wrong!

No time for a real trip report. Actually, because it was for business, I didn't get to do very much but what I was able to see and experience was glorious.

The city is beautiful, the people are friendly and have beautiful manners (a lost art in the United States) and why did no one tell me how good the food is? The pastries were the best I've had this side of Paris! Not to mention fabulous wine.

Stayed at the Four Seasons which was a lavish experience. Hey, I wasn't paying! The service from the people in the hotel and from clerks in the stores and wait staff in the cafes was outstanding (another lost art in the US). And any attempt at speaking Spanish was rewarded with smiles and offers of help.

I have gone from a person who never wanted to go there to a person in love with the city and who is dying to go back. Even on my own time and dime (or is that peson?)!

One more thing: Havanna cookies and chocolates are delicious. Plus, my many visits to Freddo have convinced me that Argentina has some of the most outstanding ice cream in the world.

So a big "gracias" from a new convert to the wonders of Argentina.

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:52 PM

SharonG,

And I am apologizing here for my own bad behaivour. Glad you had a great time in Argentina. I was hoping to go next month but since I am going to Tanzania at the end of February, I will likely have to postpone Argentina until about October/November 2006.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:03 PM

Rocco, I think I liked to tease you cause you remind me of my brother so no problem!! Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I'm really jealous that all of you get to go to Africa. And now you're going to Tanzania so I am green with envy. Don't you wish we had all the time and money in the world to go everywhere?????
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:15 PM

SharonG, and if we won't have all money in the world, we can read each other's reports, dream and fantasize
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:32 PM

Dear SharonG.. I think we may all be a little envious of Roccos travel schedule... I lay at awake at night plotting to become a Rocco Jr.! But we must all just do what we can! The world is very large!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:48 PM

FainaAgain, that's what I love about reading trip reports! Some are so good you just get carried away and can imagine yourself on the trip. Oh well (big sigh).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -