Search

Need feedback on Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need feedback on Itinerary

My husband, who is originally South African, and I are going to SA in July for his 20th high school reunion. We'll be in SA for 12 days. We have 3 days at the end of our trip to visit a game reserve. Since we'll be in the eastern cape we are thinking of Addo, Shamwari or Schotia or going to Kruger. Any feedback or where to stay would be appreciated. Thanks.

Day 1: Cape Town--Hotel Metropole
Day 2: Cape Town--Hotel Metropole
Day 3: Stellenbosch--Hotel TBD
Day 4: Knysna--Hotel TBD
Day 5: Woodridge, PE (Reunion)
Day 6: Woodridge, PE (Reunion)
Day 7: Woodridge, PE (Reunion)
Day 8: PE--Hotel TBD
Day 9: PE--Hotel TBD
Day 10: Game Park TBD
Day 11: Game Park TBD
Day 12: Game Park TBD
Day 13: Fly back to SF
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:16 AM

Being an ex So African and having schooled at Woodridge, he is likely to gravitate towards the Shamwari/Addo parks, which and if your first game viewing experience, will be a memorable trip.

At that time of year it is highly likely to be a more than affordable epxerience too.

The kruger has always been my favourite area so I am partial to that experience and recommend it.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:18 AM

And I meant to add:
Your itinerary looks fine for a quick visit, appears that you will be driving the garden route up to PE?
Just a pity that you'll only have one night in Knysna, personally would have suggested longer in that area in addition to the nights you already have.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we plan to take the Garden ROute to PE. Since my husband hasn't been back to SA in 20 years he doens't know if much has changed with the game parks. He went to Addo as a kid. We may event do Addo as a day trip while we are in PE, and then fly to Kruger. Thanks again.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 03:38 PM

It will be well worth the expensive to pay for the air to take your safari in Kruger Park. They basically have every species indigenous to Africa with the exception of Gorilla. The small "man made areas" such as Shamwari are very very limited and normally keep the predators to a minimum. There are some very reasonably priced lodges that are fantastic....would be well worth it.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:05 PM

Cleo22,

I can't help you much on Addo, but I know there are many people on this forum who has been there and have offered amazing advice on other threads.

What I'm concerned with is that you seem to want to stay in Hotels in the cities during your stay! Why not stay in guesthouses or B&Bs and your husband can really feel the South African hospitality again - it will get his memories going in time for the reunion! After all, you can stay in a holiday inn or sheraton anywhere in the world! Contact the tourism offices in each of the places you plan to visit, or search on eg. Port Elizabeth Tourism office on the net. They will be able to help you with choosing stunning South African guest houses along the way!

R
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 03:14 PM

I don't know if you want to rough it or go for luxury, but if you are going for luxury, the Londolozi Game Reserve in Skukuza is in Kruger National Park and it is wonderful.