snake charmers in morocco

Feb 16th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

snake charmers in morocco

A friend and I are considering a trip to Morocco, but she is so terrified of snakes that it's put a damper on our plans. So how prevalent are snake charmers? As in, are they on every corner? Is it obvious when you're coming to one, or might you suddenly find yourself within 10 feet of a snake without having advance warning? This may sound like a silly question, but she has a real phobia and I wouldn't want this to ruin her trip (or to prevent us from going!). Any insights?
Feb 17th, 2004, 04:07 AM

There are snake charmers in touristic areas like the Djema el Fnaa square in Marrakech. But since this place is a large one, you can walk around avoiding them. And I have not seen any of them in Marrakech apart from this particular place.
Feb 21st, 2004, 02:51 PM

Agreed, they are essentially a tourist attraction in large markets and squares and easily avoided. I sat down with one in Marrakech and had a cobra put 3 inches from my face and smaller snakes thrown around my neck - interesting experience but not one i would recommend. Morocco is cool so enjoy it, but believe me the people trying to sell you a zillion things (typical throughout North Africa) are a lot more annoying than snakes!
Mar 13th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

People trying to sell things, no matter how persistent, are NOT more annoying (or at least not more frightening) than a snake is to someone with a serious phobia! I'm not talking about someone with a mild fear of snakes but someone who can't watch a snake on TV and can barely look at one in a book or magazine. I honestly think she might have a heart attack (literally) if she got too close to one. It turns out that we're probably going to have to postpone our trip til next year, but I'll be watching this board in the meantime and will likely have more questions in the future!

Search this Thread