Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Skukuza/Kruger park (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/skukuza-kruger-park-255384/)

Jim Sep 3rd, 2002 12:06 AM

Skukuza/Kruger park

This will be our first trip to Africa. We have a week's accommodation booked at Skukuza at the end of May 2003. We will hire a car. We are looking for suggestions as to how to make the most of the week, without spending a fortune. Any sugestions, please?

Lisa Sep 6th, 2002 04:22 AM

Firstly, I would try to break it up ans spend a few nights at one camp and then move onto one or 2 other camps, either, Lower Sabie or Satara. Or even Satara and then another camp further north than Satara, maybe Oliphants. this way, you can cover different ground and not just be traveling on the same road each time, especially if you are there for a week. Try to pack light and then it won't be such a hassle to have to move and unpack a couple of extra times.<BR><BR>The terrain is a bir different further North and you will get some variation on game. Especially as you are going in May, it is a good time to go further North.<BR><BR>You can also do your own cooking/barbecuing as the chalets have their own kitchens. I think you can hire crockery etc for a nominal amount each day. Try to go on a night drive or 2 with a game ranger. You can book this when you get there.

Jim Sep 11th, 2002 12:13 AM

Lisa, just a note to thank you for responding to our question.What you say seems wise. We have booked at the Karos lodge at Kruger gate for the week, as it is a timeshare exchange. Our dilemma is whether to pay extra to spend time at other camps, or try to travel each day from there. Also Maputo is possible.

Lisa Sep 11th, 2002 03:56 AM

Not sure about Maputo. I dopn't know whether you can go through Kruger or if you would have to go all the way around. <BR>another thing you could do if you are staying outside the park is to go to Blyde River Canyon, Bourke's potholes, God's Window and other parts in that area. We were dying to go there on our trip but did not have time. <BR><BR>

Karen Sep 11th, 2002 10:50 AM

Maputo is accessable from Komatipoort which is at the south end of Kruger near the Crocodile gate which is near where the Bushman paintings are. You can always get out and see them and as well as learn about Jock of the Bushveld which, in case you don't know about him is a dog hero of South Africa.<BR><BR>There is an animal rehabilitation center close by Kapama with great cheetahs.<BR>When in the park remember to look UP as that is where the leopards usually hang out.<BR>Have a wonderful holiday here in South Africa.<BR>Karen Copeland

Karen Sep 11th, 2002 10:56 AM

I meant to mention the Sudwala Caves, a short drive from Nelspruit. They are ancient caves and in the 19th century a Swazi king hid out here while being pursued by Zulu impis who tried to smoke him out. There is a dinausaur park adjacent is you are interested in fossils and like that.

local Sep 11th, 2002 10:02 PM

Adding to the previous suggestions, I would also suggest Pilgrim's Rest, a small and previously mining town that has been declared a museum as a whole.<BR><BR>If you consider Maputo, you can also think about Swaziland through Barberton - short drive.<BR><BR>However, all of this will be a lot of driving. When you arrive, ask about when the best time is to go to God's Window (maybe try a tourism office in the are via email) as the area is sometimes covered in mist till about lunch time.<BR>