Skimmer versus skimmer - 09/2008

Oct 4th, 2008, 07:55 AM
skimmer

Skimmer versus skimmer - 09/2008

Just got back from an amazing trip in northern Botswana:

- mobile safari with Masson safaris (I was accompanied by 3 friends (Pixelpower and his wife and Frans)
- Chitabe Lediba;
- Xigera;
- Duba Plains.

There were many highlights on this trip:

- massive herds of elephants gathering around a waterhole in the middle of the Chobe forest (it must be the best elephant viewing I had ever had and previous experiences at Kwando, Selinda and Linyanti were quite dull compared to this one).

- private boat trips on the Chobe river (can't think of a better place to do some serious birding) (ps: elephants/hippos/crocs and buffalo and all the other plains game are just a bonus);

- 4 sitatunga (viewed at the panhandle out of a helicopter);

- Phinley showed me more leopards than my camera could handle at Chitabe. At this moment, I can't think of another camp in the delta where those cats are seen on such a regular basis;

- close encounter on foot with lions while staying at Xigera;

- the staff/managers at Duba and Chitabe. Together with Lebala, those are the camps were I really feel at home.

The massive fires had definitely an impact on my
photography (mostly for the worse) but given the length of my stay I managed to come across some interesting sightings and I hope to post some of my pictures together with an extensive trip report before the middle of November.

And for those who are considering to go on a mobile safari in Northern Botswana, Ewan Masson is a superb guide who knows what keen photographers and die-hard safari-goers are looking for.

Greetz,

Johan

Oct 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM

I'm glad to hear Massons came through for you. Did you book with him directly or through a safari company? I'm seriously considering a mobile with Massons in 2010 so would love to hear more.
Thanks
Lily
Oct 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM
skimmer

Lily,

Pixelpower is writing a trip report right now on Aardvark (he mentioned it on Fodors also).http://www.aardvarktravel.net/chat/v...ic.php?t=37455

I contacted them directly.

Greetz,

Johan

Oct 4th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Welcome back and the highlights are tantalizing.

Maybe I am just dense, but what does the title of your post mean?
Oct 4th, 2008, 11:36 PM
skimmer

Lynn,

Just a title - it doesn't anything to do what's going in Duba at the moment.

Greetz,

Johan

Oct 6th, 2008, 04:45 AM

I guess it means he's seen skimmers. Well I know he has, while we were on a daytrip to the falls.

Or maybe he encountered himself! lol

Search this Thread