Skeleton coast

Nov 18th, 2004, 04:09 PM
adeewebstr

Skeleton coast

We are planning a trip to Namibia in June of 2006. We really want to include the Skeleton Coast, but am unsure how to do it. I have seen the $270 or so 3 hour flyovers from Windhoek (only slightly better than nothing) and around $2600+ 4 day fly-in safaris (2 parents and 3 kids, so WAY too much money). Is there anyway of doing something in-between? Is it possible to do our own charter with 2 days and one night, or 3/2, at a more reasonable cost?

Nov 19th, 2004, 05:42 AM
sandi

The price for the Skeleton Coast tour is what it is... there is no other way to get in here, but admittedly it is expensive for a big family. As to a private charter, that might not cost any less.

But there is a local Namibian tour operator who a number of people have used and recommend. You might want to contact them and see what they can provide or suggest.

That name is: Cardboard Box.

Do a search in the box on top of this page - enter "cardboard box" and click the Find button. Threads will appear in left column for you to read and possibly find the link to them. Or do a Google search for the company and contact them from their site. Hope this helps.

Nov 19th, 2004, 09:40 AM
adeewebstr

Thanks - I will do that

Nov 19th, 2004, 10:43 PM

Hi there, the 'Skeleton Coast' is really the whole coast of Namibia, but I think you're referring to the camps north of Swakop. There are two companies which have camps in that direction on/near the coast, Wilderness Safaris (Skeleton Coast Camp and Serra Cafema) and Skeleton Coast Safaris (www.skeletoncoastsafaris.com). Both of them are normally a minimum of 3 nights and are quite expensive for 5 people because they are fly-in safaris and very exclusive. I'm not sure if maybe Skeleton Coast Safaris could arrange something special for you for only 1 night, you might want to contact them directly. It's a family run business that has been around for a long time and they are extremely knowledgeable about this area of Namibia.

If that doesn't work out, what I would recommend is a 2.5 hour scenic flight from Swakopmund, which departs in a southerly direction inland, flys over the Kuiseb Canyon, over the dunes of Sossusvlei, then heads west over the old diamond camps and a few shipwrecks, before returning to Swakop via the coastline. It's a really beautiful flight and is only N$1180/person if you're a group of 5.

Let me know if you'd like more specific info on any of these things. Kristin

Search this Thread