Six months working in Cape Town

Aug 12th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Marion

Six months working in Cape Town

Myself and some of my friends from Ireland are considering travelling to Cape Town next year and spending six months working and living there.

I am aware that this is a tourist site but just wondering if anyone would have any advice in relation to our plans.. eg, ease of getting jobs (all accountants), race issues (we're all white), safety issues..etc..

Thanks in advance

Aug 16th, 2001, 02:41 AM
trace

Cape Town is a tourist attraction but that is not all! It's also a major city and port with various industries and all the accompanying business - like accountants. Having said that I'm not sure how successful you might be in securing positions in the accounting field on a six month basis. Most of the larger firms prefer permanent employees - and the smaller ones are unlikely to be able to offer a "contract" position. You might try to get a post on secondment through one of the internatinal auditing firms. Regarding race issues it is highly unlikely that you will experience any problems - I never have. Affirmative action is a major issue here at the moment but as you would not be looking for permanent posts you will probably be unaffacted. You would in all likelihood have better luck trying to get work in the hospitality industry in Cape Town. Crime is a major issue in SA, but is economically motivated and has nothing to do with race. With a few sensible precautions you will be fine eg. drive with your car doors locked, protect your bags, don't walk alone at night in poorly lit areas, etc, etc. Standard stuff for any city. Make sure you allow time to venture beyond Cape Town into the rest of the country - don't be like typical Capetonians and think that there's nothing beyond the mountains!

Aug 17th, 2001, 04:34 AM
Marion

Trace,
thank you very much for your detailed and informative reply. Greatly appreciated!
Marion!

Search this Thread