Single woman traveling in So. Africa in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m a 29-year-old woman planning to travel in South Africa on my own for about 18-19 days in October. I may take buses or possibly check out a backpacker bus, but I’m looking into other options as well.

Currently my plan is to fly into Jo’burg on Sept. 30 and leave from Cape Town on Oct. 19. I’m planning to travel overland and do an open jaw ticket. I also have the option of flying straight into Durban and going overland to Cape Town from there.

I’m really into adventure activities – everything from paragliding to surfing to dolpin swimming to quad bikes – and want to take advantage of those kinds of activities. I’m not that into exploring the cultural aspect, although I wouldn’t mind something that gave me a little taste of what life is like down there.

I do want to check out animals and do some sort of safari, but I don’t want that to overwhelm my trip – a few days is fine. If I did Kruger leaving from Johannesburg, how far it is and how long are the safaris typically? Would it make more sense if I flew directly into Kruger instead of Jo’burg?

Many people have suggested Kruger, but what other options are there that I could see between Durban and Cape Town? Would I have to book most short safaris far in advance or could I figure it out once I’m there.

Also, if I skip Kruger entirely, should I then just fly straight into Durban?

I only have 18 days, but I was wondering if it would make sense to try to see Victoria Falls as well – probably flying there from Jo’burg. I’m a little worried since I’m traveling on my own, though, and I don’t know how comfortable I’d be. Also, where does everyone weigh in on whether you should see it from the Zambian or Zim side? What are the challenges I’d face flying into either?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!!

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:41 AM

We had a great experience on safari in Imfolozi (also called Hluhluwe-Umfolozi) National Park in KZN, not far from Durban. Fewer cats than Kruger, but way more rhinos.

If you're into adventure, we did a Wilderness Trail at Imfolozi (think hiking out in the bushveld with a guide and camping out amongst the animals for 4 days) - it was an amazing experience. They do them at Kruger, too, I believe. You don't get to see the animals as upclose in the traditional landrover safari (we did that, too) but being out in the wilderness, where you never know what will be around the corner is a unique and exciting time.

Here's more info: http://www.kznwildlife.com/umfolozi_trails.htm

One of the things we regret not doing while on that side of the country was spending more time in the Drakensberg mountains. That might be something else to consider. Cheers, Carrie
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 03:32 AM

Am born and grew up in Africa, live in Europe now but travel back regulary. If you buy the 'LONELY PLANET' book on South Africa, it gives you nearly all the info you want on travel to Southern Africa.There is a BAZ BUS that caters for backpackers and travellers. www.bazbus.com There are also City to City buses, www.greyhound.co.za www.intercape.co.za www.translux.co.za You dont have to go all the way to the Kruger to see game, from Durban you can visit Umfolozi, Hluhluwe and Mkuze. There are also game farms. My daughter and a friend flew to Durban, travelled by road with Baz Bus etc. to Cape Town last year, flew out from Cape Town.
Went to school in Livingstone so have spent many many weekends at the Victoria Falls. Zimbabwe side is the better side in September/October as there is more water that side, was at the Falls 2005 in September and we were able to walk half way across from the Zambian side. You can to a day trip to the other side. My husband wouldnt go there without doing the White water rafting down the Zambezi. My son does the bungy jumping from the bridge. Vic Falls is know as the Adrenalin Capital of Africa!!! hope this is of some help
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM

bookmarking
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:14 AM

For adrenalin- you need to go to Vic Falls, there are many safari options there. Perhaps you could fly Joberg to Vic Falls, do your exciting stuff, and spend some safari time around Vic Falls,or Chobe (Zim Side). Or you could also go on safari in Zam from Vic Falls. I wouldn't worry about the Zim side- I also travel as a single female, and am returning to Vic Falls (Zim) in June, without any worries. the people are lovely, and your $$ make you a huge asset to their economy right now. You could fly out of VFA to Joberg, and then on to Durban ( I did this 18 months ago but to Richards Bay) There may be direct flights out of Vic Falls to Durban- sorry I am not sure. The beaches on the Indian Ocean are incredible!! Baz Bus is a good transport option- either up to Kruger, or down towards Cape Town! I hope you have a GREAT time- I am jealous!!!