Search

Single Female in Morocco?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Terri

Single Female in Morocco?

I would love to go to Morocco in March but my friends are too nervous to go. So forget them...I'm going! Any advice for a single female in Morocco? I'm interested in Marekkesh and a side Sahara tour. Total 7 days. Where to go? Tours? etc... Thanks!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Tracy Edelman

I posted a reply, but I'm not sure that it went through. Did you get it?

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Rosanna

My husband and I visited Morrocco a couple of years ago - a short trip of only 2 days and two nights, (Although we had planned to stay only one night -the weather on the Mediterranean prohibited us from returning on schedule.) I STRONGLY suggest that you travel with someone. Arabic men really do treat women as sex objects - even middle-aged, obviously married women. At the least, book with a reputable tour company. We located a tour company in Algeciras, Spain. The company treated us fairly, although the tour did include a lengthy tour of a rug retailer, and that experinece was somewhat stressful. If you go to the rug shop, you'll stay there until someone buys a rug. We actually bought one and it is still beautiful. But the pressure is very intense to buy. We never went to the areas you mention - just Tangiers and one of the nearby towns - can't remember the name right now. Crossing the border, even in the security of the tour bus, we were on edge due to the obvious graft and corruption we witnessed in the port of entry - muggings of the locals as they smuggled goods across the border, and long delays during which our passports were in the handds of a governmental official behind a closed door.<BR><BR>My advice is to go with a group. You may have an adventurous spirit, but the area is simply not respectful in its attitude toward women. We have traveled to a fair number of places, and I never felt so vulnerable as I did in Morocco.

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Kelly

Hi Terri,<BR><BR>I strongly encourage you to go to Morocco. I traveled alone last year as a single woman and had a fantastic time. I really don't think there is any need to go with a group. I never once felt afraid, and did not encounter any problems besides the fact that many men wanted to stop and chat with me (oh of course the carpet touts as well). You can check out my trip report at:<BR><BR>www.advweb.com/kelly/morocco<BR><BR>Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to try and help!<BR><BR>Kelly

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 02:42 PM
joe

hi <BR>i just back from desert 3 weekes ago i had a wonderfull time more info <BR> please contact WWW.BIVOUACTOURS.COM

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Nichole

Terri,<BR><BR> I went to Morocco in August by myself and had a fabulous time. I was in Morocco for 10 days. Marrakech was great. I would suggest spending the most time there. From there you can find a side trip to the Sahara. I went to the Merzouga dunes. It was amazingly beautiful. I booked my trip through the hotel Ali. Its a small hotel in Marrakech. They were very helpful. My trip to the desert took 3 days. They have several trips to choose from though.<BR><BR>Going by myself was a great experience. I was a little nervous at first. THe only place that I had a difficult time in was Fez. It was definitely intimidating and a little difficult to navigate through. In general though it was a great experience. Just do it!

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 11:04 AM
mari

i just returned from a solo trip to India....and have been to morocco, which i was planning on doing solo, but met up with some girls in spain and we all went together..<BR><BR>I would go to Tangiers, Fez and Marrakesh in a flash again...everyone was very frendly and respectful....but then i was with two other women...i might wear a wedding band or just say you have a serious boyfriend who you are meeting in the next town, etc....you should have no troubles....really...have a great time and drink all that wonderful mint tea you will be offered! and take a mercedes taxi thru the desert if you can...bring some tunes on a cassette which the driver will let you play on his stereo....and if you know some french, that will help!<BR><BR>