Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

So what's so great about the Middle East and Africa anyway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Vita

Hi, all. I regularly visit the Europe board and, every now and then, there will be some mention of the low activity on the other boards. And, because there's low activity, people don't visit the boards. You can see the upsetting cycle that ensues.<BR><BR>One of the nice things about the European board is that the regular factual "What hotel should I stay in" type posts are mixed with threads about the joy of travel and what we love about it.<BR><BR>I took a trip to Palestine and Jordan a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. My favorite places were Petra, for it's ruins, and Jerusalem, for it's history and chaotic energy. I'd really like to go to Egypt sometime soon.<BR><BR>I'd be interested hearing about your travels and what places you loved most.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Ursula

Vita, I'd love to visit Petra one day. But so far, hm, there is just too much on my list. I'd like to go to Egypt too.<BR><BR>One African country I do love is Morocco. I've been several times and visited most larger cities, but also Quarzazate and the Draa Valley (sp?). I love the desert. It's magic, somehow. I admire the people who live there for good. What a challenge. The heat, the cold, the sand, the wind...<BR>I love the architecture, the landscapes, the medinas, the food, the music....<BR>For beach holidays, I have been going to Tunisia (Djerba Island, Hammamet and Monastir) for the last couple of years. It's nice, still warm in October and the people are very friendly, just like in Morocco as well.<BR>North African countries are quite popular with European travellers. It's not too far and only 1 h of time difference. In general, no shots, etc. needed.<BR>I am less tempted by places like Kenya or Senegal, but do not have an explanation that for. It's just so.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Dave

Kenya and Tanzania are great for nature, animals, history, geology, other cultures.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Vita

Dave, I'd be interested in hearing more about Kenya and Tanzania. Do you have a trip report?<BR><BR>By the way. I also forgot to mention the Dead Sea as one of my favorite places. I visited on the Jordan side. The sunset was amazing.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Dave

Vita - Yes. Thanks for asking.<BR><BR>The Tanzania report is "Road to Zanzibar", and the Kenya report is "Kenya Trip report." (read in that order)<BR><BR>Also, 20 years ago I was at the Dead Sea at Masada. Great history site and viewing point.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Cintie

Middle East equals stunning scenery, better diving than anywhere in Europe and history - makes Pompeii look young. I have been to many ancient sites and Petra is still my favourite. I have dived in many places, and I loved the Red Sea. I have never seen so many stars in the sky as I saw in the middle of the desert at Wadi Rum Jordan.<BR>Africa - nothing beats sitting around the camp fire listening to the wildlife. The beautiful walks. The excellent wine and food. Lovely people and very cheap.<BR>Why go to Europe? Over populated, Over Pompous and Over Rated! (not that I didn't love my time there, just that it doesn't draw me back like Africa).

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Myriam

I have an enormous fascination for African countries, and I mean black African countries. I have been to Kenya (East Africa) - would go back in a minute - where I especially enjoyed the safari in the various wildparks. Also the seaside is beautiful. I have also been to Senegal (West Africa) - would go back in a minute also - where we had our hotel in the middle of the African scenery. I have never experienced that same "couleur locale" in any other country. I've also been to Tunisia a few times which in my opinion is not representative for the African continent. Neither is Egypt, where I've also been a few times. Although a cruise on the Nile is a "must" for those who love culture & archeology. Also diving in the Red Sea is a "must".<BR>The countries on my "want to go" list are: Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Ivory Coast.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Norma L.

To Vita,My husband is a traveler and he made a traveler out of me! I loved Israel, Jordan (Petra), Egypt (All the Pyramids and Temples, and the Sinai area where we rode camels up the mountain)Greece and Turkey, China, India, South America (Igwasu Falls) Peru(Machu Picchu) ---These are a few of my favorites....but we enjoyed all of our trips.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Gina

Vita <BR>My husband and I went on our first safari to Kenya in June 2000 and we are going back this February/March. We will revisit two previous camps and added two new once. One in Amboseli Park and other one in Masaai Mara. Amboseli will be a new area to visit. I think I posted my report here on this forum long ago . If you are interested reading a new one get in touch in the end of March. I read some great reports on this forum but not for a while. You are right this board is very quiet lately and I think that has something to do with September 11th. <BR>We also visited the Seychelles twice and going back for our third visit.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:16 AM
maggie

Message: I have recently returned from the most amazing holiday experience - a seven day safari with Robin Pope Safaris in the South Luangwa National Park in Zambia. If anyone would like any information regarding these camps or this area just ask.<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Deb

Maggie, I would be interested in hearing more about the different camps you went to, what you saw, level of accomodation,time of year you visited etc. Thanks much

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Maggie

Hi Deb, sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you.<BR>If you would like to email me I will send you my reports of my visit to Zambia