Search

Mena House - Garden Wing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Mirri

Mena House - Garden Wing

The opinion of the famous hotel Mena House Oberoi in Giza seem to be very different depending on who you ask. I'm thinking about staying at the Garden Wing (simply because it's much cheeper than the palace section) but I would like to hear your impression of this part of the hotel. <BR><BR>Is it really 5*? Nice, calm? Dirty and rugged?<BR><BR>Thank you for all input!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:22 AM
ellen

A lot depends on the time of year. I was there in Oct when the farmers burn the sugar cane and I thought the hotel was on fire. We stayed in the Garden Wing and it was fine---not 5 star, but clean and easily accessible to the Lobby.I didn't see the &quot;Other Side&quot; that has the view of the pyramids, but we wouldn't have seen them through the smoke anyway. There is so much development in the area that you may disappointed---does not look like the postcards. Also stayed at the old Shepherd's Hotel in downtown Cairo---neither cheap nor even 3 star, but the view of the Nile is excellent, you need a room on the river side. We enjoyed the food at both hotels. If you have the opportunity, be sure to visit Coptic Cairo---fascinating. Ellen

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:11 AM
gail

Our family stayed in 2 different rooms in Garden Wing 18 months ago - one had pyramid view, one did not. Both were clean, well furnished, utilities worked well, etc. Lots of wood, paneling, older tile - all in a positive way as part of the atmosphere of being virtually across the street from the pyramids. We found the grounds enchanting - lots of flowers, gardens. Had a nice meal in the restaurant.<BR><BR>As far as area being built up, within the grounds of the hotel you would never know. But - as evidence of what previous poster was referring to - there is a Pizza Hut within walking distance to hotel which delivers to hotel grounds - fortunately you are unable to see it from hotel. (And the reason we know that is after almost 24 hours of traveling, our kids were so exhausted and intrigued by the idea of pizza in Egypt that we ordered a pizza for a pre-dinner snack for them.)<BR>

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Catherine

I would argue that the garden wing isn't really 5*. It's mainly for package tourists.<BR><BR>The palace wing on the other hand is. <BR><BR>The rates at the Oberoi vary widely, and it is often better to go though a travel agent than book directly at the hotel. By booking through www.bales.co.uk we got a rate for the palace section lower than the advertised rate for the garden section.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 06:07 PM
LEANNA

We stayed in the Garden wing on a Maupentour trip. I had a 2nd floor room w/ a huge balcony, over looking the gardens &amp; pool and the pyramids as the background for that. It was amazing!! The room was large and comfy and the bathroom also. I was more than happy!!!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Mary

Stayed in Garden wing during independent trip in 2000. Had 3rd floor room with nice balcony and fantastic view of pyramids (it was fun to watch light show from our balcony).<BR><BR>I think we paid about $125/night for the room. We thought the room was very nice.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Michael

The garden wing, where I stayed, is like a nice Holiday Inn, but frankly, how much time will you spend in your room gazing from the window. Hopefully, very little, especially when the view of the pyramids from the grounds, particularly tableside by the pool, is incredible, and the pyramids are only a short trip away. Mena House is worth it if only to be that close to the pyramids -- you needn't leave early to hustle back to Cairo, and you can enjoy the quietness at the Giza plateau at dusk after the tourist masses depart.