Singita and Shamwari

Mar 8th, 1997, 01:29 PM
Bill

Singita and Shamwari

We are going to South Africa in April 97 and have decided ot spend two nights
at Shamwari and Three nights at Singita.

Has anyone stayed at these two lodges recently (Andrew?)
What should we expect in terms of game viewing? Any
inside tips to make are stay more special?

Thanks, again!

Mar 17th, 1997, 02:53 PM
Andrew

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I think that you have mapped out a terrific game-viewing experience. Singita will provide you with the traditional big-game experience in the Lowveld--in incomparable luxury. There is no doubt in my mind that you will see the Big Five while you're there, and April is a great time to go. The bush is still green, the weather not too hot, the animals are fat and healthy, and the migrating birds are still around. The impala males are rutting, too, in their annual competition for females. Singita is managed by the Conservation Corporation, which does a wonderful job. The rangers are well trained and knowledgeable, and Singita itself is probably the most luxurious lodge in South Africa. Shamwari is a very different experience, but still well worthwhile. It is in the Eastern Cape, so the look and feel of the place are very different. Here, five different biomes come together: semiarid Karoo scrub, eastern grassland, savannah, thick coastal bushveld, and fynbos. This translates into a magnificent setting: Rolling mountains as far as the eye can see, riven by forested valleys, gorges, and rivers. The game experience, on the other hand, will not be nearly as rewarding as what you will get at Singita. Shamwari is still very much a work in progress, and they continue to restock this former farmland with animals. Elephant numbers are low, and lions had not been introduced when I was there. You do have a good chance of seeing rhino, however. Accommodation in Long Lee Manor is magnificent, but don't expect safari stuff. It's a pink, Edwardian manor that sits right on the edge of the game reserve. As a result, your room could face farmland or the reserve. Ask for one of the rooms upstairs in the manor--they are something special. As I said, Shamwari does not offer the traditional game-viewing experience, but it is a very beautiful part of the country, and the lodging is wonderful, too. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Search this Thread