La Couronne or Lanzerac Manor in the Cape Winelands?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Sarah

La Couronne or Lanzerac Manor in the Cape Winelands?

Hello again!

I am in the process of putting together our honeymoon now that we have decided on sticking to South Africa for two or two 1/2 half weeks.

We are going to go in late June or early July now, since that will be better for game viewing.

We are playing with this itinerary, so please let me know what you think:

CAPE TOWN: 3 nights at the Ellerman House (would love to hear your opinions about this choice! Would you choose a different hotel in Cape Town?)

WINELANDS: 3 nights at either Lanzerac Manor or La Couronne

GARDEN ROUTE: 2 nights (don't know where yet, would love suggestions)

SAFARI: 3 nights Royal Malewane
3 nights Singita

Would really like to know whether to go with Lanzerac or La Couronne, and also your opinions on this itinerary regarding amount of time in each destination, choice of accomodations, etc.

Thanks SO much once again!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:27 AM
nikkit

Hi Sarah, we've stayed at La Couronne, but not the Lanzerac. La Couronne is smaller and possibly more relaxed than the L. You can see our write up on La Couronne at www.i-escape.com/lacouronne.php

We've also stayed at some great places along the garden route. You can also read our reviews on those hotels on i-escape

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 07:20 AM
james

Have been to both Lanzarac & La Couronne, but I would recommend The Grand Roche in Paarl over the other two - I think it's one of the best boutique hotels in the world.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:55 AM
gabe

I would suggest that you stay in franshhoek as it was absolutely the most gorgeous spot and small town in the wineland and rather than La Couronne i would suggest Le Quartier Francais - this was certainly one of the loveliest places i have ever stayed - it is in the valley rather than overlooking it but it is very very nice. It also has fab food. We walked to La coronne and had a drink in the bar which was nice but i would definitely go back to Le Quartier.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:53 PM
beth

my husband and i just got back from south africa last week (we are from ny also). your trip sounds great. ellerman house is supposed to be great and i wish we stayed there, we stayed at cape grace. at cape grace the service was phenomenal, but it was a typical hotel. everybody who we encountered that stayed at ellerman liked it a lot.
in the winelands, i highly recommend le quartier francais! it was beautiful!!! i know it is not one of your choices- it is near la couronne in a town called franscheok. www.lequartier.co.za. in my opinion, for the winelands area, you really only need 2 days, it is absolutely gorgeous, but if you want to add another day to safari, this is where i would cut from.
garden route- unfortunately we didnt have time, so can't recommend.
safari- singita is amazing! loved it! not to confuse you, but ulusaba www.ulusaba.com was great too.