Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sinai in Jan-Feb: a good idea? for snorkeling and a little hiking.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to extend my Nile valley trip by about 4-5 days,just wondering if Sinai is a good option.
1. Are the waters warm enough to snorkel? I come from a tropical country,so not Sinai would be a little colder than where I stay. Is snorkeling comfortable in these conditions?
2. Do day trips run to the St.KAtherines monastery in the winter? I understand it will be cold in the night,so I wouldnt want to do a night trip.
3. Do the colored canyon trips run in winter, I am assuming Sinai is more of a summer destination.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 04:29 AM

I can't answer your questions directly. But we were just hiking in southern Jordon which is pretty close by to the Sinai. Our guide was telling us that January was a good month to hike given the cooler temperatures. Of course that may not help with the snorkelling.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Infact I am considering Southern Jordan too, did you hike in the Wadi Rum? Which all places did you go to?
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 04:08 AM

Sorry for the delay. We were flying back yesterday. Your question is harder to answer than it sounds. We were with a company called Bedouin Directions. The first day was driving to and then hiking around a whole bunch of sites which you can find on their website. The second day was climbing up Um Ad Dami, at more than 1,800 metres the highest peak in Jordan, and then Jebel Haash. I would not recommend these climbs for the casual hiker as there was a lot of scrambling (you need your hands) involved. The third day was hiking out of their camp, which is the southernmost camp in Wadi Rum.

The scenery in the area is all stunning. The further south you go the fewer people you will see. Or you can just hike out of the WR Village if you want. Bring a lot of water.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 01:47 AM

>>Are the waters warm enough to snorkel? I come from a tropical country,so not Sinai would be a little colder than where I stay. Is snorkeling comfortable in these conditions?<<

I was in Sharm El Sheikh a year last February and found it windy and cold, difficult to sit on the beach because it was not warm enough. Went scuba diving and saw the Thistlegorm which was fantastic, but needed a thicker wetsuit than the one I use for the Caribbean, the water was so cold! The dive master wore a dry suit which tells you something. If you are prepared for the cold water then the snorkelling and diving is very good.